Trouble with Propane valve

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relic

Dec 4, 2016
B.C. Canada
Greetings, New to the froum, I just installed a new valve on my Vermonrt Castings Radiance stove, it is a replacement SIT valve for an obsolete Honeywell valve. The problem is that the pilot will light without depressing it and when I do depress it the fire starts right up without turning to the on position, It seems it is wide open and not depending on either the themocouple or the thermopile. What might the problem be other than a bad valve. It also came with it's own thermocouple that has two electrical wires attached, what are these for, there is no mention of them in the instructions.

Cheers, Relic

sounds like a bad valve, sure doesn't sound safe!

the t-couple sounds like it has an interrupter, like hi-limit or spill switch

Update.....

As it turns out the valve is perfectly good, I was racking my brain as to why the valve would do this, it didn't make sense, till I thought, hmmm.....could the valve be hooked up backwards......yup, the problem was that I had it plumbed backwards. I know, I know, how could I possibly do that (very easily, follow along) You see the old Honeywell was oriented with the wires, pilot tube, thermopile connections on the right hand side and valves look very similar so I plumbed it the same way, not noticing the small arrow denoting fuel flow. The good news is, I flipped it around which made all the hook ups a tad awkward because the fan control and igniter are on the left side but it all works perfectly now ........ Lucky I didn't blow myself and the whole house up.

And yes the t-couple was for a spill switch.... which ironically was the problem all along, because when I got the new valve oriented correctly it was doing exactly the same thing as the old valve which was that the pilot would light and stay lit, till turned to the on position and the pilot would go out. I had good Thermopile readings, so I mistakenly thought it must be the valve. I then jumpered the spill switch wires and it fired right up...... I cleaned up the spill switch re hooked the wires and she works fine now.

This was a huge learning experience for me and not necessarily one I regret because, I now know my stove inside out, I have changed out about every piece now and it is no longer rocket science to me.

Hopefully someone can learn from my blunder..... Cheers, Relic

Reactions: 49er
Status
Not open for further replies.