Troubles with trailer lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Darn trailer lights.

The problem: All lights work on my trailer except for the driver side turn signal, running light and brake light . . . bulbs look OK . . . wiring seems solid. Any suggestions?

I believe that the brake light bulb and turn signal are the same thing, so check that good. (Switch bulb w/other side) It very well could be a ground problem.

Jake, I have found that when troubleshooting lights, I start at the source (the vehicle plug). Test the output coming from the vehicle with a meeter or one of those cheapy plug in testers. I use a meter. If all works as expected, test the same output at the light sockets. If no good at the socket - check the wires AND socket connections. If good at the socket - its Aliens. Most people don't realize that Aliens hate trailer lights.

Jack Straw said:
I believe that the brake light bulb and turn signal are the same thing, so check that good. (Switch bulb w/other side) It very well could be a ground problem.

Did this and the bulb worked in the other socket . . . I considered the ground, but all other lights are working fine.

Jags said:
Jake, I have found that when troubleshooting lights, I start at the source (the vehicle plug). Test the output coming from the vehicle with a meeter or one of those cheapy plug in testers. I use a meter. If all works as expected, test the same output at the light sockets. If no good at the socket - check the wires AND socket connections. If good at the socket - its Aliens. Most people don't realize that Aliens hate trailer lights.

What if I wrap the lights in tin foil . . . will that help combat the aliens? ;)

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:

What if I wrap the lights in tin foil . . . will that help combat the aliens? ;)

Yes. Yes it will.

Well - here is my thought. If all the other lights on that side work, you have ground. From there, there is only two other components. The wire, and the socket. Make sure THAT socket is grounded (again with tester or ground it temporarily with another piece of wire). Or it is a break in the feed wire.

It is probably the ground for the light socket itself, or the ground from the fixture to the trailer.

Jake,

Grab a star washer from the local HW store and stick it between the bracket and the nut that mounts the taillight assembly after you polish the connection area a little. Most of those taillight assy's are grounded through the mounting stud and I've found it to be a constant gremlin. Star washer does the trick every time.

MasterMech said:
Star washer does the trick every time.

Unless you live in salt country. Then you run dedicated grounds all the way back to the truck. I hate trailer lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.