1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

troy bilt 27 ton splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by woodzilla, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodzilla

woodzilla New Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    finally made the jump to a splitter. Just wanted to share my excitement. She test split 13" dia x 23" elm and a nasty crotch piece that I could not dent with anything I threw at it. Delivered to my garage assembled and fluid filled. Some body get me a tree.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Isn't it great when you can triumph over elm without breaking a sweat. Sounds like you've got the tool to do it now.
  3. jklingel

jklingel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Is that a 5" cylinder w/ about 3000 psi? Does it push the wedge, or push a plate to the wedge? Any neat/unique features, in particular?
  4. woodzilla

woodzilla New Member

Loc:
    Mid-Michigan
    4.5" cyl. Pushes wedge into plate. No dent plastic fenders are nice. Hilo hit one and didn't scratch. Also has log extractors if pieces stick to wedge. Auto return a big plus.
  5. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    It's a life changing experience. Now, you'll seek that nastiest gnarly you can find just to make a point. You won't get as much exercise but your stress levels will drop.
  6. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Thanks. One final question: what is the mechanism used to extract the stuck wedge from the wood if necessary? Solid pegs? Chain you can throw over log?
    As far as the comment "You won’t get as much exercise but your stress levels will drop", I hear that. Personally, I have swung a sledge, ax, maddoc (sp?), etc, enough in my life, and beating the snot out of wood does not appeal to me that much. I'd just rather ski/bike/run for kicks. Age? Enjoy the splitter. j
  7. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    Mine has two "log extractor bars" on it which just pushes the log off the head when it returns. I have never needed a chain but that would work pretty good

I still have an odd liking to cutting, splitting and stacking firewood...it's just now on days that I don't really feel like wrastin' bucks I still go out and get more done....so I have time to cut the grass, stain the house, work on vehicles :long:
  8. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    OK. I'll look for some photos. Another individual has expressed concern about getting a hand/finger stuck between stationary log-stoppers and the log on the extract stroke, so I was just wondering if this were something permanent or "swing in". Either way, machines bite if you are not careful. Thanks. j
  9. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Cats: I'd love to see that machine better. When I clicked on your image to enlarge it, it was the same size. If you have a larger photo, pls post. Otherwise, I'll look for web sites, etc. Thanks. j
  10. jklingel

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    Oh. Are the extractors those red plates by the (retracted) wedge? If so, OK. Look good. I've seen those before on a different machine. Thanks for the pic. j
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.