troy bilt 27 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
finally made the jump to a splitter. Just wanted to share my excitement. She test split 13" dia x 23" elm and a nasty crotch piece that I could not dent with anything I threw at it. Delivered to my garage assembled and fluid filled. Some body get me a tree.

Isn't it great when you can triumph over elm without breaking a sweat. Sounds like you've got the tool to do it now.

Is that a 5" cylinder w/ about 3000 psi? Does it push the wedge, or push a plate to the wedge? Any neat/unique features, in particular?

4.5" cyl. Pushes wedge into plate. No dent plastic fenders are nice. Hilo hit one and didn't scratch. Also has log extractors if pieces stick to wedge. Auto return a big plus.

It's a life changing experience. Now, you'll seek that nastiest gnarly you can find just to make a point. You won't get as much exercise but your stress levels will drop.

Thanks. One final question: what is the mechanism used to extract the stuck wedge from the wood if necessary? Solid pegs? Chain you can throw over log?
As far as the comment "You won’t get as much exercise but your stress levels will drop", I hear that. Personally, I have swung a sledge, ax, maddoc (sp?), etc, enough in my life, and beating the snot out of wood does not appeal to me that much. I'd just rather ski/bike/run for kicks. Age? Enjoy the splitter. j

Thanks. One final question: what is the mechanism used to extract the stuck wedge from the wood if necessary? Solid pegs? Chain you can throw over log?

Mine has two "log extractor bars" on it which just pushes the log off the head when it returns. I have never needed a chain but that would work pretty good

As far as the comment "You won’t get as much exercise but your stress levels will drop", I hear that. Personally, I have swung a sledge, ax, maddoc (sp?), etc, enough in my life, and beating the snot out of wood does not appeal to me that much. I'd just rather ski/bike/run for kicks. Age? Enjoy the splitter. j

I still have an odd liking to cutting, splitting and stacking firewood...it's just now on days that I don't really feel like wrastin' bucks I still go out and get more done....so I have time to cut the grass, stain the house, work on vehicles :long:

OK. I'll look for some photos. Another individual has expressed concern about getting a hand/finger stuck between stationary log-stoppers and the log on the extract stroke, so I was just wondering if this were something permanent or "swing in". Either way, machines bite if you are not careful. Thanks. j

Cats: I'd love to see that machine better. When I clicked on your image to enlarge it, it was the same size. If you have a larger photo, pls post. Otherwise, I'll look for web sites, etc. Thanks. j

Oh. Are the extractors those red plates by the (retracted) wedge? If so, OK. Look good. I've seen those before on a different machine. Thanks for the pic. j

Status
Not open for further replies.