Troy Bilt chipper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Local CL has an 8 HP chipper for sale...$250. Appears to be an older model but owner recently says bearings have been replaced and blades sharpened, says it will take up to a 3" branch. I know next to nothing about Troy Bilt or chippers in general...would this seem to be a decent deal if all is as stated? Something that will chip up to 3" is all I need since anything larger than that I would burn anyways!

small chipper are ok for home owner use they are slow but will do the small jobs. and that one is there bigger model.

Is Troy Bilt a decent quality built chipper or should I stay away from them? Never had anything made by them.

muncybob said:
Is Troy Bilt a decent quality built chipper or should I stay away from them? Never had anything made by them.

I look into that very model (top of the line for troy built) it really depends on how much you chip if your just using it agound the yard leaves and small branchs it will do very well....if your trying to do large jobs where time is money than its not ok.

very soild home owner unit.

I plan to fell enough trees to get about 5 to 6 cords firewood each year. Looking for something that will handle the branches I don't intend to burn(smaller than 3") and something that can be loaded into a pickup bed by 2 people(wish I had a trailer!). I have had a decent response on CL to an ad I placed to cut other people's trees(only in "safe" locations) and remove the rounds & dispose of the branches.

muncybob said:
I plan to fell enough trees to get about 5 to 6 cords firewood each year. Looking for something that will handle the branches I don't intend to burn(smaller than 3") and something that can be loaded into a pickup bed by 2 people(wish I had a trailer!). I have had a decent response on CL to an ad I placed to cut other people's trees(only in "safe" locations) and remove the rounds & dispose of the branches.

then that would be perfect for that...2 and under is more like it and it will save you a lot of time not hauling branchs save gas as well.
5 cords a year that will be a nice tool to have.

Thanx guys...something for me to think about. One of my prospects has 8 large silver maples to take down and he just informed me that he may spring to rent a chipper...so problem may be solved anyways! Just thought it would be something handy to have around the homestead since I'm getting tired of hauling my own branches into the woods....and for that it would appear to be the right tool.

muncybob said:
Thanx guys...something for me to think about. One of my prospects has 8 large silver maples to take down and he just informed me that he may spring to rent a chipper...so problem may be solved anyways! Just thought it would be something handy to have around the homestead since I'm getting tired of hauling my own branches into the woods....and for that it would appear to be the right tool.

big silvers you need the big boy! when they come down you will fill overwhelm..

Attachments

• 6 cord silver maple.jpg
    6 cord silver maple.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 268
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

big silvers you need the big boy!

My saw and friend's Jonesred along with my FEL will take care of felling them. Love using the tractor to buck up trees and load into the truck. Actually looking forward to it, but need to get them down soon to minimize mess as the buds are a poppin'!

The chipper in question looks to be several years old so I doubt I can find that model to rent but maybe I can get another troy bilt to try out. Hoping for good weather this weekend to get a start on next year's firewood!

FYI its probably not going to work the way you think it will . I own a 5 inch chipper for on my tractor PTO , It works ok . I still have a few times I have to trim some brush down to get it in the chute . Just picture a 2 inch hunk of brush with say a 1 inch growing out the side . You may be able to bend it enough to get it in the chipper , then again you may have to cut your brush down to get it in the chipper .
If you want to do a trial and error just grab your self a 2 ft piece of 3" pvc and see if the brush you leave is able to slide through the PVC if not you will be cutting it down some more .

muncybob said:
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

My saw and friend's Jonesred along with my FEL will take care of felling them. Love using the tractor to buck up trees and load into the truck. Actually looking forward to it, but need to get them down soon to minimize mess as the buds are a poppin'!

The chipper in question looks to be several years old so I doubt I can find that model to rent but maybe I can get another troy bilt to try out. Hoping for good weather this weekend to get a start on next year's firewood!

silver have lots of trash limbs I would want a bad @ss chipper put everything into piles all facing the same direction (will make it easier) and rent the chipper for the weekend and do them last.

smokinjay said:
muncybob said:
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

silver have lots of trash limbs I would want a bad @ss chipper put everything into piles all facing the same direction (will make it easier) and rent the chipper for the weekend and do them last.

I cut a fair amount of silver and you are correct , and I pretty much take anything worthwhile burning down to say an 1.5" . If I am chipping the branches I still run into a few clumps I have to cut down before I get them in the chipper , This is what i ws comenting in my previous post . Siler is actually one of the easier ones , ash can be a real bear those branches just dont bend that easy .

ApproximateLEE said:
You may want to go rent  the same model u found 4sale and try some big wood in it to see how it goes.
That is the best advice there is on the subject, I rented a 8 hp troy built a long time ago and was very disapointed, too slow for what I had in mind, decided right then and there if I ever bought one it would be a lot bigger than 8 hp.

webie said:
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:
smokinjay said:
muncybob said:

I cut a fair amount of silver and you are correct , and I pretty much take anything worthwhile burning down to say an 1.5" . If I am chipping the branches I still run into a few clumps I have to cut down before I get them in the chipper , This is what i ws comenting in my previous post . Siler is actually one of the easier ones , ash can be a real bear those branches just dont bend that easy .

we rent a big bad @ss chipper and will chip anything 3.5-4in. and under those limb really arent worth saving if theres enough trunk there. I am burn out on silver maple...lol

I have looked a bit and don't see much available inbetween yours and the big 45 hp Vermeer type units. My FIL has a 10hp model and it works ok but is a little small slow and only does up to about 2" so I mostly end up burning the small stuff .

Bob,
I've had mine since 3/05. Use it for leaves and small branches in the spring and fall. Also for small limbs 2.5". Use that to make mulch. Works great, starts on first pull.

May pass on the Troy Bilt as now there is a Champion with a 10hp Kohler within driving distance for me, dealer overstock and basically un-used. I would imagine parts would be easier to come by with a newer unit like this. But, if the guy with the maples rents a chipper maybe I'll put this $$ towards a better saw.

muncybob said:
May pass on the Troy Bilt as now there is a Champion with a 10hp Kohler within driving distance for me, dealer overstock and basically un-used. I would imagine parts would be easier to come by with a newer unit like this. But, if the guy with the maples rents a chipper maybe I'll put this $$ towards a better saw.

Now your thinking how big are those silvers...I have done a lot of them in the 50-60 in range.

His silvers look to be about 30". I took down some sugar maples on my property today and after some aggravation with my saw I vowed to get a better one soon! Chipper will just have to wait until next year unless I find a steal of a deal on a saw.

muncybob said:
His silvers look to be about 30". I took down some sugar maples on my property today and after some aggravation with my saw I vowed to get a better one soon! Chipper will just have to wait until next year unless I find a steal of a deal on a saw.
look for 60cc and up

They make 8in 3-point chippers for tractors that aren't to high priced. Made in China but the reviews aren't bad for for homeowners use.. Seems like they were under 2 grand. They would be alot faster than those small ones. I've thought about getting one but made one out of a old corn chopper. It will chip 3in easy and will chip as fast as you can feed it. Makes lots of noise and doesn't have all those safety things so you have to stay on your toes. It's also big. If I ever get into burning chips I'll be buying a big one.
leaddog

One other suggestion ......

You might want to check into the availability of replacement chipper knives , especially on the Troybuilt chipper . I sharpen chipper knives & some customers tell me they have trouble finding the knives on certain models .....

Status
Not open for further replies.