Troy Built Log Splitter Hydraulic Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glassmanjpf

Apr 4, 2006
Long Island, NY
I have had a problem with my spltter leaking fluid through the upper cap on the valve. I've read through the forums and it seemed the problem was the o-rings. I have replaced the two O-rings twice with the type mentioned on some of the other treads and it continues to leak after 1-3 hours of splitting. I'm thinking now its more than just the O ring. after a few hours when its leaking the ram comes down very slowly even stops. It retracts fine. I am now looking to just buy the complete assembly. Troy built OEM parts number for the valve is 718-0481 which is now replaced by part number 918-0481A, I have found this valve for $178.86 which I thought was a little pricey. The cap on the valve says "Energy" so I went to their website and saw valve Model C-908 DSKCVA 200 which is a 4 way valve for $85.

I'm not sure if this valve will work on my splitter. Does anyone have any info on which valve to get?

Thanks!

Im not sure how the Energy valve is made but in my experience with hydraulics there should be something more like a quad ring. If the Rod the o-rings seal against is worn or scored that can accelerate the wear on the new o-rings. Dirt and stuff gets on the rod and gets dragged into the valve. Just normal wear in the life of a splitter I guess....

Here is another place that may have what you need if a new valve is the solution.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=splitter valve

Yep, check the rod for any kind of abrasions or burrs. A very minute burr will wipe out a seal in short order. They can often be polished off with emery cloth.

Log splitter valves are usually interchangeable. Little to no modifications needed. Average price $80.00 .

Your valve sounds like it might be scored internally.

triptester said:
Log splitter valves are usually interchangeable. Little to no modifications needed. Average price $80.00 .

Your valve sounds like it might be scored internally.
Agreed.
Joe

OK, so I removed the valve not to much trouble. However getting the old fittings off was a PITA. Only got one off the old unit and reused the other one looked like it was chewed off. Needed to use a pipe wrench. Anyway local auto parts store had the identical fittings I needed for 10 bucks. Splitter back up and running. Split for 2 hours today and worked great.

OK, so I removed the valve not to much trouble. However getting the old fittings off was a PITA. Only got one off the old unit and reused the other one looked like it was chewed off. Needed to use a pipe wrench. Anyway local auto parts store had the identical fittings I needed for 10 bucks. Splitter back up and running. Split for 2 hours today and worked great.

Hey glassmanipf do you still have the old valve ?
I could use a few parts off it. where on Long Island? I'm in Farmingdale if so email me [email protected]

thanks louie

Status
Not open for further replies.