TroyBuilt 27ton Splitter - Cracked Hydrolic tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genstuff

Jan 7, 2008
Central Mass
Anyone hearing about hairline tank cracks. I bought this from Lowes, May of 2009, last fall split about 8 cords, noticed a spot in the garage. Tank split horizontally between the welds that hold the motor plate to the tank (bad design).

Was replaced in 11/2009 for free....Just noticed a spot in the garage today, new tanks is cracked. Same place, almost a year to the day. This time I split about 16 cords. Splits great, though had to beef up some of the hardware. I need to check on the value recall, look at Troy Built site if you have not heard. I saw some one already posted.

What's the word out there. I only tow it around my own yard with a lawn tracker, and store it inside Next year my 2 year warranty is up, could get expensive at a tank a year, or I have to take up welding.

Is it just me.

Could you post a pic please?

I have not had an issue yet with the troy built over 100 cords knock on wood....+1 on the PIC?

Tough place to get a picture from, but here it is. I looks like just a crack in the paint. The crack goes straight across under the plate. Only about 1 1/2" total. The spot on the pizza box is after 24 hrs.

Not a crazy leak, but if you garage your eqipment, it makes a mess.

Attachments

• crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 245
  • drip24hours2.jpg
    drip24hours2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 264
  • crack3.jpg
    crack3.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 254
You did a great job with the photos!

Possible to have it welded?

S

Hoping for a second new tank, since I am in warranty. If I'm on my own, then weld it and probably try to cut a 1/8 - 1/4 space between the bracket and the tank, then slide in and weld a plate 2 or 3 " wide by the height. Then weld the bracket to the plate. That should transfer the load. Odd no one else having the issue. The shop that does the work locally, since Lowes doesn't, said he replaces 3 or 4 a year.

I read a lot of strings on bad welds, so I need to do some other inspections.

Automated welding, them damn robots don't have to pass the welding test we humans do. The problem of bad welds is becoming the norm. You ought to see the carnage created when one lets go on a snow plow. Somehow the Mfg never produce bad welds it always the customers fault ,"abusing or improperly using the equipment". Pretty looking on the outside, no penetration (cold weld). All covered up by the baked on powder-coat. See it all the time.

blades said:
Automated welding, them damn robots don't have to pass the welding test we humans do. The problem of bad welds is becoming the norm. You ought to see the carnage created when one lets go on a snow plow. Somehow the Mfg never produce bad welds it always the customers fault ,"abusing or improperly using the equipment". Pretty looking on the outside, no penetration (cold weld). All covered up by the baked on powder-coat. See it all the time.

I believe Fisher snow plows are still welded by hand . . . brother works in the shop . . . granted he tends to work on the larger ones they build.

Status
Not open for further replies.