Truck carry weight in pounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
How much can a 1/2 ton truck carry 1500lbs? 3/4 ton 2500lb? and 1 ton 3500lbs? dual wheel 1 ton 5500lbs?

What brand???

My '96 Toyota T-100 (long bed) has a 1700 pound payload capacity. I've literally loaded a ton of retaining wall bricks into the bed and it handled it fine. Wouldn't win any races, but it hauls well.

joel

I routinely haul a ton in my ancient 88 Silverado with its rusty frameand overload springs in the heart of the rust belt. I have had up to 1.96 tons put there by accident and hauled slowly down the back roads. If being loaded by a bucket loader I just watch for the body to settle towards the tire and stop there for a rough estimate of when I have hit the limit. At least with my truck the drop is rather sudden and easy to spot. Keep good tires, aired up fully and drive slow always aware that you can't stop very well. Of course I live in the boonies so traffic isn't an issue.

Safest would be to check the owners manual for your truck. Besides destroying your truck, you may destroy yourself or someone else on the road if you are overloaded.

minesmoria said:
full size trucks dodge ford ect.

Chevy Avalanche - 1,190 lbs
Chevy Silverado 1500 - 1,655 lbs
Dodge Ram 1500 - 1,270 lbs
Ford F150 - 1,889 lbs
Honda Ridgeline 1,559 lbs
Nissan Titan - 1,596 lbs
Toyota Tundra - 1,860 lbs

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, 4x4, with heavy truck tires, extended cab, short bed that has hauled a CONFIRMED 3600# of cement bags in the back (mostly towards the tailgate). Had about 1/4" of spring travel left. Wouldn't really recommend it, but it did it (at 45 MPH and very carefully). Probably wouldn't do it again. Thats gotta be hard on it. That was many thousands of miles ago, and no ill effects to date. :grrr:

Call a Dealer and give them the VIN
You can also take the GVW from the sticker on the door and get a rough Idea. Mine is 8800 lbs. So figure about 4000 lbs for the truck the rest is bed capacity, passengers, ETC.....
I got a dodge ram 2500 its listed as a 1 ton but with the added camper suspension (for attaching fifth wheel) Dodge actually said bed capacity is about 3300lbs (I will try to avoid this though). And actually come to think about it check the load rating on the tires My truck has load rating E which is 3415 lbs for a single wheel axle (not sure on a dual wheel).

I just finished unloading the second ton off my Toyota Tundra 4X4 - it was quite a load and I had pumped the tires up to their max - 35psi. (I did only 1 T at a time). Never went over 45 mph and was very careful regarding stopping distance. Looks like I was about 120 lbs overloaded.

Very expensive over load. My Mack dump truck has 36,000 GVW I have a full load of pea stone weighing in at near 42k gvw. Only 3 miles from the pit to the job location. Passed a state trouper he pulls me over 1/2 mile to my job. The fines equaled $2500 how could i lie I have the tare slips there. I have to hand shovel 3 tons to another truck before I can continue. From that day forward, I do not overload any trucks

Elk you REBEL ! luckily you got that bong stuffed under the seat in time. You rebel you. :"
elkimmeg said:
Very expensive over load. My Mack dump truck has 36,000 GVW I have a full load of pea stone weighing in at near 42k gvw. Only 3 miles from the pit to the job location. Passed a state trouper he pulls me over 1/2 mile to my job. The fines equaled $2500 how could i lie I have the tare slips there. I have to hand shovel 3 tons to another truck before I can continue. From that day forward, I do not overload any trucks

Ted said:
I just finished unloading the second ton off my Toyota Tundra 4X4 - it was quite a load and I had pumped the tires up to their max - 35psi. (I did only 1 T at a time). Never went over 45 mph and was very careful regarding stopping distance. Looks like I was about 120 lbs overloaded.

Nah - not if you're a skinny.

i've had 8,000lbs in the bed of my 99 f-250, crushed the sheetmetal webbing on the bed, luckily i didn't have it in there for long, however i routinely haul 2 tons of coal in my bed just fine. the most important things are making sure that the frame is not resting on the axle and that the tires can handle the weight plus that of the truck.

Something to remember. It is not always how much it can carry. But how well the vehicle will stop with that added weight.

"It sure is a purty car. Brakes don't work too good though... If yous wantin' ta stop... You gotta think ahead." Calculus From the movie Fletch Lives.

Exactly Bikemedic. The truck is designed to work as a system. Suspension, brakes, steering etc. Any vehicle will hold a lot more than its design weight. What it isn't designed to do is operate safely overloaded.

The first time you come up behind a bunch of cars stopped at a redlight, step on the brakes and that loaded truck just keeps on going is a moment you will remember for a long time.

My father, in law who is nortorious for being unsafe and sometimes just downright stupid, loaded his truck and trailer so heavy with wood, that I swear I could have picked up the front end of his truck by myself!!! No kidding!!!
then he says to me after driving home with it that way. "Ya know... It just wasn't driving right... It didn't want to turn..." Ohhh, you don't say!? Unbelieveable. :roll:

Trucks, trailers, vans, station wagons, sedans anything you haul wood with can be over loaded. I try to get weight on all four tires. There are no weight scales where I load. Check the “bounce” on the springs and looking under the vehicle to check body to axle clearance, for over bent springs, body to ground clearance and how deep the wheels are sinking in to the ground.

I did over load a neighbors old trailer with load of salt blocks that snapped all the wheel lug nut studs off. The salt was free and he wanted all I could get. He said off loading was not fun, nor was fixing the wheel studs on the road. After telling my uncle, an old farmer, this story he told me if you must max out the springs put a piece of wood between the axle and the body to help the springs out.

How much wood could a wood truck, truck, if a wood truck could truck wood?

Warren said:

The amount depends on whether you are the one selling the wood from the truck, or the one buying the wood from the truck.

FYI Load rating E tires max Psi is 80psi. Just curious what's the load rating on your tires at 35psi Ted? I had a Nissan SUV I thought It could handle the weight of some paver stones only six hundred pounds....... I got back to my house (about 4 miles)from HD and my tires were almost completely flat SUVs should be reclassified as station wagons they definitely are not utility vehicles. The tires need to work with the suspension not compensate for it, so be careful guys.

One last point when I carry a ton of pellets in my truck I try to strip off the first 2 or 3 layers of pellets to help get the center of gravity lower.... Remember when you take those corners that the only thing that attaches the bed to the truck is about 4 bolts regardless of what you got for a suspension or tires. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
Warren said:

The amount depends on whether you are the one selling the wood from the truck, or the one buying the wood from the truck.

HA HA HA HA - that is good! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.