Truck loads of logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I went to see a guy today that is selling truck loads of logs for firewood . He delivers what he claims is three cords for 100 dollars. The wood is a mix of hickory,cherry,oak and the such. Nothing too big and no limbs all pretty straight. He has plenty . I live in Harford county Maryland and am getting two loads this week. If anyone else in the area is interested let me know and I will give you a contact number,
Mike

$33/cord delivered is dirt cheap. I wouldn't be chasing scrounges with that option.

I agree. That is why I ordered two loads for delivery this wednesday . I went to the spot where he has it stored to look at what I will be getting . He has piles of logs fifteen feet tall and Luckly I have a vacant lot 2 miles from where I live for processing.
I will keep you all posted
Mike

Are you sure they are not face cords? How big is his truck? I pay $100 for one cord here.

I bet its 1 cord or 3 face cords 1cord= 3 face 4'x8'x16"ea Here in mi its around 100 a cord or 4'x4'x8' logs

Rob

You'll instantly know if it is 1 or 3 cord when he pulls up in his truck.

SolarAndWood said:
You'll instantly know if it is 1 or 3 cord when he pulls up in his truck.

Yup, I hope you're right on the price, but $33 for a full cord of wood delivered is almost unheard of, anywhere. No offense, but I would have found out first what type of cord he's quoting you... full or face

Pat53 said:
$33 for a full cord of wood delivered is almost unheard of, anywhere.

And with good reason. If that price is real, he must be making good money on the other side of the transaction and is looking for a way to get rid of it without having to deal with selling firewood.

He is a tree trimmer, I have seen the wood piles and have seen the truck he delivers in I know what a cord is and can identify different types of wood. Come on guys, I was trying to let anyone in the area in on a good deal

I wish I could convince the tree service 1/2 mile down the road to do that. They chip it all and spread it. With the number of crews they have running, they could easily take care of my annual needs in a couple days.

mtarbert said:
He is a tree trimmer, I have seen the wood piles and have seen the truck he delivers in I know what a cord is and can identify different types of wood. Come on guys, I was trying to let anyone in the area in on a good deal

Don't take these guys wrong, mtabert. They are just a bit skeptical on what sounds like a "too good to be true" deal. Ya can't blame them for questioning face or full.

33 bucks for a full cord of logs delivered is one heck of a deal.

I'd be burning about $1000 bucks real quick on that deal and getting WAY ahead (if I had to buy wood). Cheers!

SolarAndWood said:
You'll instantly know if it is 1 or 3 cord when he pulls up in his pickup truck.
There, I fixed it for you.

Sorry about the "Sour Grapes"... If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. You could have let us in on the fact it is a tree service getting rid of free wood for a nominal fee.

The wood monger I bought my last 12 cord load from for $1200 is not around anymore so I've been hunting around for another source. So far I've only found one other source and his truckload is 16 cord for $1800. At $33/cord I'd be taking more than 6 cord.

Cost me about 40.00 a cord for free wood! :cheese: Somedays are more.

For $33 a full cord delivered, I'd buy every stick he has. Thats only $11 / face cord. I'd be cutting it up and selling it for $65-$70 a face cord. Hell you could pay to have someone cut and split it and still make $30 /face cord !

Actually the guy is losing a lot of money. If the market price is about $100/full cord, why not sell it for $75-$80/full cord? Thats a great deal for firewood and he would likely have plenty of buyers.

Will be interesting to see what you actually get, remember pics or it didn't happen! :) At that price I would take all he could deliver and be makimng some money on it next winter!

Jags said:
mtarbert said:

Don't take these guys wrong, mtabert. They are just a bit skeptical on what sounds like a "too good to be true" deal. Ya can't blame them for questioning face or full.

33 bucks for a full cord of logs delivered is one heck of a deal.

+2
Great deal.
$100 Not bad for 1 good full cord, FANTASTIC for 3.
If you have room, you could get 2 to 3 years ahead at the cost of free wood (free scrounges/cord usually cost more than $30 in fuel)
You'll still have a small cost of saw & splitter fuel, but it sound like you hit "Pay dirt". :)
Of course you know we love pictures :)

$100 a cord is the go'in price around here......(if you can get it)
here's a couple of pic's of my last batch 99% red oak

Attachments

• may oak 2011 005  Large e-mail view.jpg
    may oak 2011 005 Large e-mail view.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 701
  • may oak 2011 004  Large e-mail view.jpg
    may oak 2011 004 Large e-mail view.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 714
WOW, You got wood!!!!
I'm assuming you sell fire wood. Eh?
Is the first pic birch or aspen?
You got a picker to get that stack down to cutting level? how do you process it?
Awesome pictures :)

bogydave said:
WOW, You got wood!!!!
You got a picker to get that stack down to cutting level? how do you process it?

That looks like a Cord King firewood processor with a slasher blade

bogydave said:
WOW, You got wood!!!!

the wood your asking about is "white birch".
i use the 1845c case skidsteer to handle all the wood.
my son just started helping me,he's 17 and wants to do it the "old fashioned way".....
i sell 2-3 hundred cord a year if i can get it . with my cord king processor. the boy will get all "the little stuff"

Attachments

• forrest's hand wood 001 Large e-mail view.jpg
    forrest's hand wood 001 Large e-mail view.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 559
  • FORREST'S 1ST DAY 1 Large e-mail view.jpg
    FORREST'S 1ST DAY 1 Large e-mail view.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 577
fyrwoodguy said:
i sell 2-3 hundred cord a year if i can get it . with my cord king processor.

How straight does it have to be and what is max practical diameter? How many cord an hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.