Truckload of hardwood for $40!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
I approached a tree company working on my street today. Asked if I could 'have' some of the hardwood logs. (Cherry, maple, sycamore, oak)

They said sure, and for $40 dollars a truckload they'll cut them to 14" and dump them where I want them on my property! (The truck is the kind that the tows the chipper and hauls the chips)

Needless to say, I'm very happy about this. I no longer will destroy my wifes Chevy Tahoe (grocery getter) scavenging logs from side of road etc....

Is this type of arrangment common for everyone? I'm located in south western CT.

Gman

Not up here in southern maine. it seems like most of the tree companies also have a firewood business as well. The price of heating oil this winter has been exceptionally high which in turn has driven the price of a cord of split seasoned hardwood up to $240 per. not bad a profit considering that someone paid them (usually alot) to take the wood. Store it and buy one of those cutting splitting machines and your in business. I have tried to get those kinds of deals and haven't been able to close the deal. Nice going. Will they deliver to maine?

i'm in south central CT but it would probably cost them $40 in gas just to get here in a truck like that.

i did have a tree cutter tell me once they oftentimes in the summer have more trees than they can get rid of themselves. he said if interested to let him know and he would probably drop tree length cuts in my yard for free. i never took him up on it but i still have his # in case i want to.

If he has a one ton dump if will hold close to a cord if sides built up 1.5 cords, but loosly stacked and dumped in 3/4 to 1/1/4
Delivered and cut to 14 to16" this is a fantastic deal. We all wish me could be as fortunate. I hope you get 4 loads or more

even if full size pickup not a bad deal either, Mo heat wishes he could get this lucky.

Around here the guys working to trim the trees work hard. do a lot of work in a short amount of time. And the oak and hickory they leave behind is not always picked up. There is some a mile from here on the side of the road that has been there for more than a year.

I work for a civil engineering company in S.J. We recently had a job where the land had to be cleared (for a wastewater pumping station). When I asked the contractor what he was doing with the wood, He kinda seemed disappointed & said "I guess I'll be hauling it back to my yard, which is about an hours ride away...do you want it?" He was more than happy to deliver the wood to my house 5 miles away! I know have 3 triaxle dump trucks of 18-22" poplars in my back yard. I of course have to cut them to size & split them. Is poplar a good wood to burn? Now hopefully my old Mac 3516 is up to the task. Also, I look forward to working out my Harbor Freight splitter!
Oh yeah, the guy didn't want any money. But I them lunch & a 30 pack of Bud Lite for their Friday afternoon.

south jersey...

He had a chipper on-site. come to think of it, you're right, All he chipped was the branches. S.J. is South Jersey.....about 1/2 between Philadelphia & Atlantic City

Poplar burns. Free poplar burns ...

FOR FREE!!!!

Cut it, split it, burn it, flip a bird at the oil company. Bravo!

Smile, and have a beer with the money you just saved.

Dylan said:
DavidV said:
Around here the guys working to trim the trees work hard. do a lot of work in a short amount of time. And the oak and hickory they leave behind is not always picked up. There is some a mile from here on the side of the road that has been there for more than a year.

Hmmmm, why do I think I've 'hit the buttons' of someone in the bidness of trimming trees for the utility....or possibly someone in the utility's employ who is getting a kick-back???

The fact that any oak or hickory is left behind for over a year simply means that it belongs to someone and others aren't willing to ask for it, or that people in your neck-o-thhe-woods are too lazy to pick it up. BTW, hickory left on the ground has a tendency to decay REAL quickly....I don't know exactly why, except the standard response of it not having natural decay preventative toxins.

Nope. not associated with utility company. they piss me off when I have to pay them but I have to give them credit for the work they do. Most winters we have bad ice storms and they get out there and get the power restored pretty quick. Lots of public officials and employees who hack me off but I seldom have anything bad to say about our electric wokers here. I have to call them to disconnect power on houses sometimes when I'm doing a resto and the guys who show up are decent and easy to work with.
As for the wood laying on the side of the road. it's a somewhat busy road and there are easier pickens. that's why I havn't gone to get it. Like I said. Within 1 mile of my house I have 3 sources of oak, hickory, beech, etc. that is free and usually cut to pieces I can load into my truck. All I have to do is go get it. I have noticed that there are more chimneys in the area than there used to be but still tons and tons of free wood available. i will really be surprised if it becomes scarece in the next 5 years. I have 2 years worth of wood cut and split right now. Keep getting more and more.. Give some of it to the relatives who have show fireplaces....nobody wants to do the work to heat with wood these days.
Daghter had a party this weekend. Bonfire was fuled with brush te get it going and then three cart loads of premium aged hardwood. Ya gotta love free wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.