1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Trucks from Albany, NY area and rust

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by jeromehdmc, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    I am looking at a 2006 Silverado that came from the Albany, NY area and I am wondering about the amount of salt they put on the roads and if there is a rust problem with trucks from there.
    It is a fairly low miles truck and it looks like it has been well cared for. No signs of rust in the rockers or cab corners as of yet.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    We're across the state, but unless they didn't drive it in the winter, it's seen enough salt to start the rusting process. Ask for pics of the undercarriage, frame, wheel wells...
  3. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    I'm near Syracuse (the Salt city) an hour and a half west of Albany. You can bet it has seen it's share of salt. Since it's an 06 it may not show any signs of salt damage yet.
    You may want to make a few phone calls to body shops in the Albany area to get their thoughts on salt damage.
  4. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Buy one from Detroit. There are salt mines under parts of the city. Really.
    I think the city itself has high blood pressure from all the salt.
    And the cars rust in about 2.5 hours.>>
  5. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    I looked it over pretty good and I didn't see anything starting yet, but it may be in the nooks and crannies.
    The only place that looked out of the ordinary is the exhaust manifolds, they were rustier that usual.
    That's a good idea to call a body shop, I didn't think of that.
    Even though it can be had for a good price it sounds like it may have some problems on the way.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

If you're worried about rust, I would avoid vehicles from this area (including Albany and Upstate) entirely. The only way to know for sure would to be there in person.

Not only do the deposits do a number on bodies and frames, engines get it bad too as the salt roadspray eats the chit out of newer aluminum engines just as bad as it did the old cast iron ones. I about cried the last time I looked under the hood of Dad's '03 2500HD and saw what all his Upstate business trips did to that engine.
  7. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    They rust here quite well. Although cars today seem to be much more rust free that a few decades ago. Then they would rust through before the 3 year payments were done.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I've lived in Oswego (near Syracuse) and now near Albany. MUCH less snow here than out there. As I recall, they used to have a parade of Winter Rat vehicles, I think at the end of the winter.
  9. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    You need to get under it and look at the frame, fuel lines and brake lines. Be very careful, I have seen trucks that were rusty and it was painted over so it was hard to see. Low mileage sounds good, but sometimes it means it sat and things seized up, ie parking brakes, etc.....
    PapaDave likes this.
  10. Bret Hart

Bret Hart Member

Loc:
    Canastota NY
    I'll echo what everyone else has said. The salt here can be tough on a vehicle. Mine is a 2000 with 270,xxx miles and has spent it's life up here. The Cummins part will likely last forever but the rest of the truck is slowly fading away.

I'd recommend buying something from the southwest. Arizona maybe.

Attached Files:

11. charly

charly Guest

I use to plow the main highways for DOT in the Albany Area,,,, yup,,,, lots of salt,, so much salt the bridges along with the concrete piers are being eaten up... I have a nice Dodge Cummin's , just turned 140K, 2004, rusting under the doors already,,,, UGGG!!! If you want to keep it here, take it off the road for the winter....
  12. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Don't do it. Try to find one south of the Mason Dixon. I bought a 2006 in VA, best thing I've done in a long time.
  13. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    We also had quite a few vehicles flood here during Irene and Lee.......
  14. FanMan

FanMan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CT stix & upstate NY
    A lot of times you also get salt and slush inside the frame, it just accumulates and you don't know until it rusts through from the inside.
  15. jeromehdmc

jeromehdmc Member

Loc:
    Kansas City
    I'm passing on the truck, just too much of a chance for rust.
    Thanks for all the input, in the back of my mind I knew I shouldn't buy it but the price and miles were good.
    Enjoy the snow up there it's 60 here and no snow.
  16. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    One of the reasons I love the PNW. I have a 1986 F250 and minus a bit of minor normal surface rust on the frame and such, it's still in excellent condition. Semi-arid conditions and no salt make for long lived vehicles from a corrosion perspective.
  17. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I'm 15 minutes from Albany and can verify that we use salt, large amounts of salt, up here. My 04 has rust on the rear wheel wells.

Matt
  18. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I'm always amazed at how good cars from the southern Cali look when I'm out there. No rain. No salt. 15 years old and they look like new on the outside. My BIL bought a truck from TX and it looked the same. If you are shopping out of state, look south and west.