True or False

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Bug

Nov 23, 2005
Clarks Summit,Pa.
Hi,
I was told by a my local stove dealer that gas stoves or fireplaces that can have the flame height adjusted by a remote control use more gas than the ones that have the manual adjustment knob only on the gas valve. Is this true or false?
Thanks,
John

That is total BS.

First ask him why the BTUs would change when hooking up the solenoid for the remote? Second ask him what inWC setting is the max for both the manual knob and the solenoid for the remote? (Hint: they are the same number)

jtp10181 said:
That is total BS.

First ask him why the BTUs would change when hooking up the solenoid for the remote? Second ask him what inWC setting is the max for both the manual knob and the solenoid for the remote? (Hint: they are the same number)

Hi JTP,
I figured the Dealer where I bought my Jotul DV Firelight 600 Propane Stove was giving us a line of BS.
I would of like to have this feature, but neither the Jotul Firelight 600 nor the Heat & Glow FB Grand Insert we purchased offered this at the time nor do they offer it now, to the best of my knowledge.
I believe the only other unit we had a interest in before we made the decision to purchase was the Heat & Glow Tiarra II, if my memory serves me correctly.
Just another example of a Dealer trying to sway a customer from one product to another I believe.
Thanks,
John

Maybe some use more gas due to radio frequency interference? LOL I can just see the fire self adjusting itself in the stove next to the fire station. Every time there's a call, the flame goes up. :)

The FB-GRAND can have and RCT-MLT-HNG installed which is a multifunction remote. It will control the fan speed and flame height. You need power under the insert to use it though.

If you have the newer FB-GRAND-S you will need an RCTS-MLT

Hi JTP,
I just have the FB Grand Lp. What is the difference with this FB Grand S Model. I haven't heard of this model.
My current remote is a SkyTech model that acts like a thermostat and works well.
At the time we purchase our FB Grand Lp we the model that you could not get the remote that controls the fan blower speed and the gas flame height. We did ask about this.
Could my current model be retrofitted to accept this new remote control and its fuctions of flame height and blower speed adjustment.
Would are current gas valve have to be changed?
We have a juction box under the unit to power the blower unit.
Thanks,
John

The "S" is the same unit with a different gas valve in it. Both remotes I mentioned above are exactly the same except for the flame height solenoid is made for the new "S" valve in the RCTS remote kit.

I just double checked the price book (that all dealers get from Heat & Glo). It lists the RCT-MLT-HNG plain as day right under the remote you have now in the book.

jtp10181 said:
The "S" is the same unit with a different gas valve in it. Both remotes I mentioned above are exactly the same except for the flame height solenoid is made for the new "S" valve in the RCTS remote kit.

I just double checked the price book (that all dealers get from Heat & Glo). It lists the RCT-MLT-HNG plain as day right under the remote you have now in the book.

JTP,
So in other words if I wanted to ad the remote that changes the flame height and blower operation from the new remote, I would also have to change out my existing gas valve to a different gas valve to accmodate the solonoid?
John

You need an RCT-MLT-HNG

end of story.

Unless you want to waste some money, then you could change out the valve and pilot assmebly and get the RCTS-MLT

jtp10181 said:
You need an RCT-MLT-HNG

end of story.

Unless you want to waste some money, then you could change out the valve and pilot assmebly and get the RCTS-MLT

HeY Pops,

Sounds to me like your Pisssed, if you don't want to reply to my questions than by all means don't.
The world is full of people with attitude and I thought this was a place one could avoid this.
"END OF STORY", give me a break. Who the heck are you!,
Advice from a person with your kind of attitude is definitely not worth it.
My question was not directed to you only but anyone on the boards. Who died and left you the sole expert? Get a grip Pal!!!
"END OF Story"

Fire Bug said:
jtp10181 said:
You need an RCT-MLT-HNG

end of story.

HeY Pops,

Sounds to me like your Pisssed, if you don't want to reply to my questions than by all means don't.
The world is full of people with attitude and I thought this was a place one could avoid this.
"END OF STORY", give me a break. Who the heck are you!,
Advice from a person with your kind of attitude is definitely not worth it.
My question was not directed to you only but anyone on the boards. Who died and left you the sole expert? Get a grip Pal!!!
"END OF Story"

Fire Bug,

I think you read his post the wrong way. JTP is not pissed. he is merely reiterating what he said in his previous post. Your reply to that post seemed to ignore his recommendation. He's telling you what you need to get and you are offering up plans that will cost more money/time than necessary. Since JTP does installs/service calls, etc. I would tend to value his input (especially since most of us here are woodburners).

Peace.

His response indicated to me that I needed this new remote/reciever. NO problem with that, but I was unsure if the solonoid to operate the gas valve was also needed or can I use my existing solonoid.
After researching this remote he mentioned on Heat & Glows website via their instructions on the PDF Files, it seems like a kit is supplied with the remote and the reciever which is contains the solonoid, two colored coated pins, (one for LP and the other for NG).
If I am correct, the instructions indicate that a plug is taken out of the existing gas valve and the correct pin is inserted into the whole that was plug and the solonoid is attached to the gas valve over the pin by a lock that should not be overtightened.
Again, in reading jtp's responses, it was not clear to to me it he said the valve had to be replace with a new one. This would conflict with the PDF Heat & Glow instructions.
Simple question, I thought, I was wrong, end of story.
Again this question was not posted to him directly and if it is a repatition of the question and hes boared with given the advice, than simply don't respond to it.
Hopefully someone else that rides a smaller horse can respond.
Thanks,
John

I had said the FB-GRAND will use the RCT-MLT-HNG and the FB-GRAND-S with the newer gas valve needs the RCTS-MLT. I never suggested replacing the gas valve. Not sure why / where you came up with it. You kept drifting towards wanting the "new" remote and I have no idea why. I said a few times that each unit has its own remote kit that will work. I did not know how else to explain except to simply state what you needed.

One Last Attempt!
My question once again is as follows; Can I switch my current Heat & Glow FB Grand Fireplace Insert over from a non adjustable flame and blower speed settings to a adjustable flame and blower speed setting by changing out my current Skytech Thermostat remote control to the Heat & Glow Remote #RCT-MLT-HNG without changing my current,existing gas valve? Or do I have to purchase a new gas valve to accomodate these functions?
I would have had this set up when I purchased the unit, but the Dealer told us that these adjustable flame and blower units suck down considerably more LP>
Please anyone that can respond, please do so.
John

Yes you can easily switch it over to the RCT-MLT-HNG and that is the only part you need. It will control flame height and fan speed. No need for a new gas valve. It is not really a DIY install item though unless you have a manometer to check the gas pressure when setting the solenoid.

Thanks for the reply jtp. I just wanted to know if I had the option of making the manual flame/blower adjustment from the easy chair by changing the remote system without changing the existing gas valve.
As I stated in the original post, the dealer said the automatic flame/blower adjustments would use a very lot more of propane. I you said BS.
It just goes to show you that you can't believe everything that certain dealers tell their customers.
Thanks,
John

If you really want it, don't let them charge you extra to install it, and make them credit the remote you have now towards it. Should only be about a $100 upgrade.

I don't understand why they would sway you away from a higher dollar remote. Doesn't make any sense. Only thing I can think of is that they had a higher markup on the SMART-STAT remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.