Truly amazing!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Havent had as good of restarts on hot coals as I like, so I went back to my own advice.

I left my front row closest to the door of an east west split load open.

I split me some dry red oak each less than 1" size.

Loaded up about 8 of those red oak kindling on the front row on coals.

Stove took off so fast I had it all shut down in 10 minutes. Pipe temp was 400 and stove top 600 and was climbing fast.

So I shut it all the way down in one swoop.

It was truly amazing , What a difference some hot burning red oak kindling did.

Everyone has to try this just to see how fast it is.

I have some 2x2's and 3x3's of Burr Oak that take off quiickly so I can imagine how quick 1x1's take off.

You will always see a difference in stove performance with different sized splits. If you want a quick hot fire use smaller splits, for a longer burn use larger splits.

Don't need no stinkin' kin'lin on hot coals. I just rake them forward, put a big 1/2 split in the very back, next I put a big 1/4 split behind the coals, and then 2 or 3 small 1/2 splits on top of the coals stood on edge like plates in a drying rack. My wood's so dry I need to wear a welding glove to do it cuz it bursts into flame so quick.

Todd said:
You will always see a difference in stove performance with different sized splits. If you want a quick hot fire use smaller splits, for a longer burn use larger splits.

+1. Different size splits make all the difference.

LLigetfa said:
Don't need no stinkin' kin'lin on hot coals. I just rake them forward, put a big 1/2 split in the very back, next I put a big 1/4 split behind the coals, and then 2 or 3 small 1/2 splits on top of the coals stood on edge like plates in a drying rack. My wood's so dry I need to wear a welding glove to do it cuz it bursts into flame so quick.
Mine too but with Oak or Black locust and White Ash the temps come up slower that a less dense wood or smaller splits of the good stuff.

I agree with LLigetfa. If you have a hot coal bed then why use kindling? If you do use kindling, there are many other types of wood that work extremely well. We've uses soft maple for years simply because it is extremely easy to split, lights super fast and burns hot and fast. But there are many others too.

I agree with backwoods, I just assumed he did not have anythig better, Green Ash will go from zero to hot in no time.

oldspark, I'd love to try some of that green ash sometime. We just don't have any here.

As I mentioned in another post alot of you guys with really good starts are using wood thats most likely less than 15%.

I posted about the kindling for people having trouble.

I will have some very dry wood next year. Most of mine is around 20% I can find a few pieces around 15%.

I did a test today by hand selectng me some very dry pieces 13-15% and it was a really good start with no kindling.

Another trick I did as I have to load East West was that I carefully loaded and was able to stack the wood high in the front , this really makes the stove heat up fast. I normally cant stack it high in the front for fear of it falling over on the window. I have to make sure its stacked leaning towards the back of the stove or perfectly level.

oldspark said:
I have some 2x2's and 3x3's of Burr Oak that take off quiickly so I can imagine how quick 1x1's take off.

circa 1880 2x4s with 0% moisture cut into tiny pieces. Takes oif like lint.

Huntindog1 said:
Havent had as good of restarts on hot coals as I like, so I went back to my own advice.

I left my front row closest to the door of an east west split load open.

I split me some dry red oak each less than 1" size.

Loaded up about 8 of those red oak kindling on the front row on coals.

Stove took off so fast I had it all shut down in 10 minutes. Pipe temp was 400 and stove top 600 and was climbing fast.

So I shut it all the way down in one swoop.

It was truly amazing , What a difference some hot burning red oak kindling did.

Everyone has to try this just to see how fast it is.

Love to try it.
Will be expecting a package of oak kindling, 50 lbs would be ok :)

Once I'm going 24/7 my use of kindling goes down a lot . . . about the only time I use it is when I'm away from the house for a long time or if I'm impatient and want the fire to get started faster . . . my wife is much more patient and will almost always just go with some small splits and wait things out.

I use a little kindling on many of my reloads. I have a small stove so if I wait a little too long the larger splits will take a little while to heat up. To avoid waiting I just add some kidling on top of the coals and it heats back up a lot faster. I haven't tried oak kindling, but maybe I will.

Huntindog1 said:
Another trick I did as I have to load East West was that I carefully loaded and was able to stack the wood high in the front , this really makes the stove heat up fast.

It should heat up even faster if you load north/south. East/west usually burns a little less hot and a little slower, at least in most stoves it does.

I wish my stove was longer in the North South direction. Its only 14.5". I could do it if I wanted to cut my 18's in half. I know that would get me better air flow between the sticks.

I may have to try that some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.