truth on pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is an age old debate.. but i have access to approx 8 cords of pine.. all is bucked and ready to split. I was told this was cut down in the begining of the summer. i have an earthstove 1003c ( catalyst ). i have a couple cords of oak for this years well seasoned but want to get a good collection of next years wood ready. SO........... what are the advantages of pine/disadvantages of pine and how long to season..

thank you in advance for your responses.
I burned a half cord of larch this shoulder,in the pine family?I think burned great kept the house primo in shoulder.Across the street a huge white pine toppled over a few months ago,my neighbor asked if I wanted it,I'm going to start whacking it this weekend irregardlous the weather conditions,figuring 1.5 cords enough for 2013 shoulder I won't have any reservation burning it in the King.

I burned a half cord of larch this shoulder,in the pine family?I think burned great kept the house primo in shoulder.Across the street a huge white pine toppled over a few months ago,my neighbor asked if I wanted it,I'm going to start whacking it this weekend irregardlous the weather conditions,figuring 1.5 cords enough for 2013 shoulder I won't have any reservation burning it in the King.
when you live in the burbs you gotta do what ya gotta do
try calling around........there are many pines that people want down

I generally don't burn pine other than kindling in my stove.. I would in a pinch and not feel bad about it... I do burn a TON of dead pine in my firepit.... during the summer, while me and my friends are... umm.... lubricated :D

I find the short burn times advantageous in that situation... and it allows me to get rid of the dead out of the eastern white "bull" pines that line my yard

pinon pine (spelled "pinyon" below), has a density and btu content on a par with many hardwoods,
To say the least. I've seen it ranked higher than Hedge. :ZZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.