Try loading your Rangeley's N/S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
With my shorter wood i am doing this and it is so much better for airflow.Burns great.Also when lighting your cold stove load your 1st logs N/S then the next layer on top E/W.After it gets going and you get your bed of coals switch back to N/S,i think you'll be quite pleased.Can't wait til next year when i can use 16" wood.This 14" to 22" sucks.

I often load my stove with some E/W splits pushed to the right side then a N/S log or two on the left side (the door opening is on the left) and get a nice combination of the fast lighting N/S load with the longer splits of the E/W load. My wood is variable in length just like yours, but I don't mind.

It works good.Just have some lighting prob's at times and thought this would help.I sometimes stick a piece of kindling up under the bottom log to keep air under it.My wood is stacked out side and sometimes the bottom tier gets rain splatter and makes it tough also.This wont burn wet wood but it helps with a cold start.

Lincoln log fires burn real well for a quick blast of heat.

10-4,top of the mornin to ya sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.