Try returning a chainsaw to Amazon.com.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billjustbill

Dec 26, 2008
Texas
About a year ago, I was looking for a new chainsaw. I had an older Husquvarna 455 with a 20" bar, so when I saw chains for it on sale or closeout, I bought them. Then, it became a problem.

I already had all the support parts and chains when Sears closed out that large bar model, and with it clearanced all their inventory of HV brand 20" chains for as low as $5.00, so I decided to get another new one. After shopping around, the best price then was $399 plus 8.25% tax, and about $375 on the Internet... So to save on shipping and tax, I bought from Amazon.com...

When it arrived, the carton appeared to have been a returned item with it being re-stapled and taped, even though the saw appeared new. The "kicker" was when I found that the saw's manual had short thick black hairs between some of the pages.... I've never had a problem with Amazon.com before, but this was bad. Plus, most chainsaws come with a small bottle of bar oil and gas mix, but there was nothing like that inside; just the hairy manual and plug wrench.

When I called Customer Service, I got another boot to the face... The lady was nice, but she said, "We can't take returns on gasoline powered items because of shipping regulations and dangerous gas fumes." I told her that if it had gas in it, it was what was there when I opened it because I never added any. She wasn't going to take it back!! After going round and round about the problem, and me willingly wanting to send pics showing the carton's old large-clinched staple holes next to the newer second set of staples, and THE BLACK HAIRS.... I told her in all the things I've ordered from Amazon, I've NEVER had something like this quality!!

She said, "Well, I'll ship you another saw." I asked how long it would take, and she replied, "It will be shipped second day delivery and if it's satisfactory, hold the first one until you hear from us."

It's not on any item's sale page, if you'll look real close in the "Returns" section of their website, there is a small blurb about gas powered items...but who knew??? The silver lining to this experience came after several months of keeping the first saw in its box, sitting in the entry waiting for a UPS guy holding a pickup order in his hand.....

It's been almost a year, and no communication. contact, or billing. So, I've ended up getting two 20" chainsaws for the price of one..... Just don't try sending back any gas powered purchase from Amazon.com if there is a problem.... :)

Bill

so do both saws work? if so then shame on amazon for being not so smart on their shipping policies.With the patience you had looks like you are the winner here.

I've used the second one and haven't looked back. Except for the remaining cord of seasoned Mesquite I bought in August of 2010, since October, I've cut about 4-1/2 cords of Red Oak, Pecan, and a little Hackberry with that one.

The first one is still in its shipping box...waiting... ;>)

Attachments

• P1020585 (Small).jpg
    P1020585 (Small).jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 531
  • P1010854 (Small).jpg
    P1010854 (Small).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 532
Bill - the 'statute of limitations' on comman sense is now up. Those saws are now yours. Congrats-for $375, you have officially bought 2 saws and some short and curlies. WOOOOhoooo!! :p

Take the second saw out of the box, put it on craigslist for $375. Someone will buy it as its on sale everywhere for $400.

The same thing happened to me with a DeWalt bench grinder. I set it up and the shaft had a lot of end play. I called Amazon and they happily sent me a new one which was fine. After a month of waiting for the other one to be picked up, I gave it to the neighbor to use. You now have to give it a spin and then turn it on, but he is happy with it.

Chris

I work for amazon. send it to me I will get to the bottom of this... :coolsmile:

Thanks for the "Help", but after going through all the "hoops" and realzing tha amount of time I spent to get things worked out, I'm following one of those pearls of wisdom....

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" :lol:

Yes, I read Amazon's disclosures about non-returnable items, so haven't bought any.

The sales tax law is pretty much the same for all states. If you buy from out of state and they do not charge you sales tax then you are supposed to pay the appropriate tax to the state. Most states have a place on the income tax form for these type purchases. However, very few pay that tax and that is why more companies are beginning to charge the tax and then pay it to the appropriate state.

On the saw, I might consider giving them one more chance to pick up the saw. A difficult decision because what if you sell it or start to use it and then they want it back?!

Yep Dennis everybody thinks they don't have to pay their use tax.
Hey, do you know anything about the wind turbines going in around Breckenridge?

Gary

Gary, I've heard about it but really don't know anything. If I hear something I'll try to remember to let you know.

Gary_602z said:

So, do I pay tax on both ??? :)

On your wind turbine question, I'd add two simple words of "Watch-OUT".....

These wind companies' contracts are written in such a way, there are many many loopholes for THEM!! The hope of getting $10,000 a year in royalties blinds many a person into quickly signing.... I don't know of a one that paid much over $1 an acre for their lease that last up to 28 years.... What the landowner finds out is that if a maintenance road is needed to get to one on the neighbor's land, and you don't get one, they can build it.... Yes they will pay for surface damage, like crop damage, but they pay it ONCE, and the road stays with the fine print(if you can find it) that say's nobody can use that road except the turbine company.... In the E.ON contract, it says that if the property owner has a gravel pit, at market price, they can take the road base material from that property, but do not have to leave/reclaim the area to the degree where they found it...........

Every contract I've seen dealing with oil/mineral leases expires at a certain date.... The turbine company, namely E.on/Airtricity, has a clause hidden in words that even a Judge and his attorney didn't see, that has a "Surviving Clause".... Once you sign the first lease, E.ON, is grabbing the air rights over your property even though you never get a turbine.... They'll pay $3,500, ONCE, and locks the air rights for the remainder of the original 28 years.... PLUS, they won't let you have trees or anything higher on YOUR OWN property than 40 ft. or higher unless they GIVE YOU PERMISSION....it could disburb the wind flow to their wind turbines. Plus tying up the property around their wind farm prevents the owner from leasing to another wind company..... For the average landowner, the wind companies have it refined to an art, and it's legal, but to me they are lower than a fly-by-night Used Car Lot and their Salesmen!!

So, what they say things out of the mouth, quote: "The contract only last 4 years, and if you don't get a wind turbine, the contract ends." is a twisted lie, because in writing they've hidden the clause the air rights are theirs... BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THESE JOKERS!!!

Lastly, do a Google for wind turbine problems/affects..... YOU do not want one of this size any closer to your home than at least a mile.... The low frequency tones produced by the 199' diameter rotor have been documented as causing health problems. Out in West Texas, around Sweetwater to Synder, the open area allows the sun to set behind those huge blades. The moving shadows across windows or outside, called "Flicker", disturb living conditions both inside the house and outside while working.... Everybody else get the money from them, and all you get is their problems; much like living downwind from a commercial feedlot......

If people are asking about a coming wind farm, 98% have already signed away rights to their own land..... "WATCH OUT"

Status
Not open for further replies.