Try this Craig's list Ad on for size. I rolled on the floor laughing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Franks said:
I just think the poster lacks an education. Hell, I have a decent vocabulary, but just recently:
I was on a little cruise up near the 1000 islands. It was sponsered by a local radio station we advertise with. I was surrounded by super educated (mostly liberal) scientists, doctors, politicians, etc. I felt very much like an uneducated idiot. These people were speaking and acting (know which is the salad fork, etc) in a way that was so bizarre to me. Try as I could to make chit chat with them, I just couldnt fit in. They all knew so much stuff, and spoke using these words that I kinda knew what they meant but I had to look them up on google when I got home.

The happy ending was, it was an open bar for wine/beer. By the end of the night, as I shuttled booze from the bar to the table I was at as fast as I could, I had them all dumbed down to my level and it was all football and fart jokes (almost)

:lol: Niiiiiice.

Franks said:
. . . I was surrounded by super educated (mostly liberal) scientists, doctors, politicians, etc. I felt very much like an uneducated idiot. These people were speaking and acting (know which is the salad fork, etc) in a way that was so bizarre to me. Try as I could to make chit chat with them, I just couldnt fit in. They all knew so much stuff, and spoke using these words that I kinda knew what they meant but I had to look them up on google when I got home.

If you'll pardon my saying so, they sound ignorant. If they were unable to communicate effectively with you, then I would say they were the ones with the limitied vocabularies, don'tcha think? Some academics live in worlds that are very narrow; they associate with their own kind, and reassure each other of their infinite superiority. They don't know how to talk to people outside of their circles or even why they should. And the ones who didn't get to know you? Their loss.

A philosopher named Martin Buber, who probably would have appreciated your fart jokes, said that it all comes down to whether we see the people around us as `you' or as `it'. It's not a comfortable feeling to be an `it', whether you're an immigrant cutting up pallets to put a roof over your head, or a successful businessman being talked down to by people who don't know any better. I like the saying that when an old person dies, a library burns. Pity when we miss the chance to read one anothers' stories.

Adios Pantalones said:
I'm guessing they're not stupid, but are ESL. Turning trash into a living; I have a lot of respect for that. Possibly turning neighborhood cats and lap dogs into pancit... I'm a bit worried

Naw, you use monkey meat for pancit and lumpia, your cat/dog is usually reserved for your Korean dish's

Status
Not open for further replies.