Trying another LED bulb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of the shaving story was that newer is not always better.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the political point, there are plenty of threads already here for that, but unless your razor analogy was intended to show that consumers will eventually move to new technology if it is genuinely better, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Modern razors are infinitely better than old "safety" razors, and despite new razors being much more expensive, few people buy old style razors.

TE

Reactions: Grisu
The point of the shaving story was that newer is not always better.

Well then you have proven that your story is irrelevant. The old incandescents, and even CFLs, are now obsolete technology due to measurable improvements in performance. Measurable and significant.

Reactions: Grisu
Wow you sure told me!

CFL and LED bulbs fail the most basic measure of all. Nobody wants them. If we DID want them the government would not have to subsidize them and bribe us in order to trick us into buying them. They would fly off the shelves.

I want them. That blows up your thesis.

I want them. They've flown off the shelf into my house. True, they were subsidized but do you really want to know about how many things out there are also subsidized? Perhaps milk. Just because it is subsidized does not mean it is a bad product.

The greatest benefit will be using them in lights you keep on the most for the longest time. For us that is our kitchen lights. We haven't run regular incandescents there for the past 17 yrs. Initially they were replaced by halogens for a 27% wattage savings. Now we're covered in that location for at least the next 5 years with some good CFLs that I bought a batch of, but eventually LEDs will replace them. They should be under a buck by then.

Wow you sure told me!

CFL and LED bulbs fail the most basic measure of all. Nobody wants them. If we DID want them the government would not have to subsidize them and bribe us in order to trick us into buying them. They would fly off the shelves.

Paved roads and gasoline powered cars fail the most basic measure of all. Nobody wants them. If we DID want them the government would not have to subsidize them and bribe us in order to trick us into using them.

Can you provide a single advantage of an incandescent bulb over a quality LED or even CFL, for a lower lifetime cost? Easy-bake ovens excluded.

TE

I like them.

Don't get me wrong. I do use CFLs in some areas. I already mentioned some. They put out light, usually last a long time, although I gave up trying to use them in the bathroom. They would burn out after a month at most. Old school bulbs last much longer in that room for me.

I conserve in sufficient other ways that I feel no guilt over the presence of wastrel incandescent bulbs in my house.

Now you're talking specifics instead of sounding like you think it's all a commie plot, it's easier to offer suggestions. What kind of bathroom fittings do you have? Personally I've had problems with certain brands of CFLs in inverted or enclosed fittings, the rising heat damages the ballast, and in once case I found what looked like evidence of a small fire. Not good. On the other hand, I have another popular brand CFL in an inverted enclosed fitting for at least eight years with no problem.

The one advantage I would admit CFLs have over LEDs is the "investigation cost": I'm not too upset about finding a $3 CFL doesn't have as warm a color or as bright a light as advertised, but if I bought a $20 or $30 LED and discovered it wasn't good, I'd be mad. That's why threads like this are so important. (I'm still not going to pay $30)

Bathrooms, garage and basements are places I've intentionally replaced CFLs with LEDs. Both of these are high usage areas (lights left on, not necessarily used), I can't shill enough for the Cree 60W or 75W softwhite bulbs, they are great. Both are places where the instant-on advantage is important or even essential. At any price under$10 they are a no-brainer anywhere you need instant light and a nice color.

TE

...What kind of bathroom fittings do you have? Personally I've had problems with certain brands of CFLs in inverted or enclosed fittings, the rising heat damages the ballast, and in once case I found what looked like evidence of a small fire. Not good. On the other hand, I have another popular brand CFL in an inverted enclosed fitting for at least eight years with no problem...

The bathroom is tiled on all surfaces including the ceiling. The fixture in question was initially a basic ceramic socket later replaced with a stamped metal shell fixture with a glass globe. Both fixtures were simple surface mounts on the ceiling in the shower/tub space and controlled with a wall switch. Bathroom is on the second floor and above on the third is a very rarely used bedroom. The room vent at the time was not connected.

I guessed either condensation or vibration was shortening their life. I swapped in an incandescent and it has worked since then with predictable bulb life.

Erm... Maybe a little short of a commie plot, but I do think changes like this should happen naturally on their own merits, not forced by legislation or tax funded incentives.

Why did all these great new products (cheap LED bulbs) just happen to appear around the same time as the incandescent phase-out?? Is it a coincidence? The companies spent some serious coin developing these products, only AFTER the risk that they wouldn't sell was removed in 2007. Everyone 'knew' that the new LED tech was feasible back then, but it took a little govt incentive to get the show on the road.

It takes a while to prime the pump and gain acceptance on new technology. Cheaper prices come from large quantity. It makes sense to use LED for quick on off situations like closets immediately. Once my supply of CFL's are gone I will make the switch for longer on time situations.

I like them.

Don't get me wrong. I do use CFLs in some areas. I already mentioned some. They put out light, usually last a long time, although I gave up trying to use them in the bathroom. They would burn out after a month at most. Old school bulbs last much longer in that room for me.

I conserve in sufficient other ways that I feel no guilt over the presence of wastrel incandescent bulbs in my house.

CFLs don't like to be turned on and off for short durations. They want to be left on for a little while. They perform terribly in situations like bathrooms, closets, basements and cold garages. By the time they are warmed up and up to full brightness you are turning them off.

As far as you thinking the government shouldn't regulate stuff like that we would be in an even more energy crisis. Cheap builders would skimp in insulation and the average homeowners heating/cooling bill would exceed their mortgage.

I think building codes should be stricter and especially in commercial buildings. So much money and resources are wasted heating and cooling the outside.

The bathroom is tiled on all surfaces including the ceiling. The fixture in question was initially a basic ceramic socket later replaced with a stamped metal shell fixture with a glass globe. Both fixtures were simple surface mounts on the ceiling in the shower/tub space and controlled with a wall switch.

Both of which are probably against electrical code. An open socket certainly was, and an enclosed globe in or near a shower needs to be rated for wet locations. Forget about bulb life and electricity, your life is more important.
With an appropriately rated light fitting, you should be able to put in a CFL or LED and have it last for many many years, the heat from the incandescent might be all that's preventing water from causing a short circuit, perhaps the lower heat from CFLs was not boiling the water away and shorting out the ballast.

TE

I just bought several of the Cree 60 watters for 7 bucks each at HD. 3 dollars off from last time I got them.

Status
Not open for further replies.