Trying Corn in My Omega

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
any corn should burn reasonably well with a 50-50 ratio. I'm, not sure if the heat ourput will be better than straight pellets but you will find out over time. I burn corn in various ratios in the really cold weather and the main drawback is that its a lot dirtier both flue and ash wise. But I'm sure there is a big cost advantage buying 10 tons did you say?

Can you used canned corn? I have some cream-style in big cans that I'd like to get rid of....

You guys are funny!

Macman benski and I will be laughing at you, When the pellets run dry and you are cold. We will be warm and have popcorn at the same time! :p

jtakeman said:
You guys are funny!

Macman benski and I will be laughing at you, When the pellets run dry and you are cold. We will be warm and have popcorn at the same time! :p

Ya, ya like I'd ever let the pellets run dry. My entire next years supply is scheduled for delivery on Friday. There are so many pellets available around here I could score several hundred tons in less than 10 minutes drive time. I worry more about getting the stupid parts to keep the stove running. There must be a better way of handling that crap. I used to work in a tech field it took less than 12 hours to get a spare part anywhere in the US or Canada. Frequently less than 1 hour. Now try that with the mixed up re-branded renumbered never the same being used in pellet burners.

Scoop said:
any corn should burn reasonably well with a 50-50 ratio. I'm, not sure if the heat ourput will be better than straight pellets but you will find out over time. I burn corn in various ratios in the really cold weather and the main drawback is that its a lot dirtier both flue and ash wise. But I'm sure there is a big cost advantage buying 10 tons did you say?

I actually have 540t of corn. But I got to save some for the pigs!

Our production cost of corn in Quebec is somewhere near 180$/t. I don't think anyone will ever sell corn any cheaper around here. Unless it is poor quality, has toxins in it, etc...

Ben

SmokeyTheBear said:
jtakeman said:
You guys are funny!

Ya, ya like I'd ever let the pellets run dry. My entire next years supply is scheduled for delivery on Friday. There are so many pellets available around here I could score several hundred tons in less than 10 minutes drive time. I worry more about getting the stupid parts to keep the stove running. There must be a better way of handling that crap. I used to work in a tech field it took less than 12 hours to get a spare part anywhere in the US or Canada. Frequently less than 1 hour. Now try that with the mixed up re-branded renumbered never the same being used in pellet burners.

I hear if you add corn to the Mainewoods you might actually get some heat from them things(he he)! I seen the clinkers you can produce from that stuff. Straight corn wouldn't come close to that. You might want to try it?

I bought the multifueler so I can burn anything, not just pellets. If there ever is a pellet shortage I will be ready. I have some cherry pits to try next. Options are so nice.

I burned mainewoods last year, Bad batch. I burned then in the shoulder season. My stove ate them like Wheaties. Just not much heat. Way to much ash. My vacuum took a beating!

What brand of pellets you getting this year???

jtakeman said:
I hear if you add corn to the Mainewoods you might actually get some heat from them things(he he)! I seen the clinkers you can produce from that stuff. Straight corn wouldn't come close to that. You might want to try it?

I bought the multifueler so I can burn anything, not just pellets. If there ever is a pellet shortage I will be ready. I have some cherry pits to try next. Options are so nice.

I burned mainewoods last year, Bad batch. I burned then in the shoulder season. My stove ate them like Wheaties. Just not much heat. Way to much ash. My vacuum took a beating!

What brand of pellets you getting this year???

I'm going to try some other brands after I finish up the MWP batch I have, which by the way, beat the pants off of the first batch I had of them. I can go days without doing anything except fill the hopper and look into the burn pot. The current stuff is supposed to be even better and I will be trying a few bags from a recent batch. I have access to Oakies, Barefoot and about 10 other brands so I'll be playing for a couple of weeks at least. That will determine what I order come March or so, would like to have two years supply in the house.

I ordered some Granules LG , my brother burns them and says very little and light ash. Those of us with huff and puff stoves like not having a lot of ash, after all it isn't like we have a mechanical device pushing the ash over the edge into the ash bin.

Benski said:
Scoop said:
any corn should burn reasonably well with a 50-50 ratio. I'm, not sure if the heat output will be better than straight pellets but you will find out over time. I burn corn in various ratios in the really cold weather and the main drawback is that its a lot dirtier both flue and ash wise. But I'm sure there is a big cost advantage buying 10 tons did you say?

I actually have 540t of corn. But I got to save some for the pigs!

Our production cost of corn in Quebec is somewhere near 180$/t. I don't think anyone will ever sell corn any cheaper around here. Unless it is poor quality, has toxins in it, etc...

Ben

If you have a truck coming west drop me off a couple tons in Trenton. Just kidding. I think its about $220 a ton for me to buy at the local feed mill. You'll get a kick out of heating with it.

Stan

Closest place to us to buy good corn, very clean and 12% moisture is B&B Crops out in Johnstown. I tried a few bags of them in our Europa. Burned 2 days with no clinkers, slightly higher heat at the heat exchanger than pellets, and a jet blue flame where the psuedo gasification takes place. I tried some local corn also, not as clean, actually got the Europa to form a clinker (almost impossible) after 24 hours and slightly less heat than pellets.

Screening the corn is always a good idea. Those folks in Johnstown are at $235 or so a ton and it is worth every penny. I just wish they were a little bit closer.

Adding up a few comments here about my testing of corn in the Enviro M55.

I have been running the stove at 50-50 corn-pellets ratio for a few days, still at the Premium Pellet setting, and Hi-Low mode. The window in the door doesn't get any dirtier than with wood pellets alone. Works great, plenty of heat! I can't beleive I am now hoping for deep cold days!

I have tried 100% corn on the Multi-Fuel setting and I had problem with igniting the corn with the auto-on feature, but I realized afterwards that the burn pot was not completely cleaned.

I will soon try to increase the % of corn to something like 75-25 ratio. I may then chose the Regular (or Utility) Pellet setting.

So far so good! I'll post more info later on.

I keep searching for switchgrass pellets in my area...

Bye,

Ben

Benski said:
Adding up a few comments here about my testing of corn in the Enviro M55.

I have been running the stove at 50-50 corn-pellets ratio for a few days, still at the Premium Pellet setting, and Hi-Low mode. The window in the door doesn't get any dirtier than with wood pellets alone. Works great, plenty of heat! I can't beleive I am now hoping for deep cold days!

I have tried 100% corn on the Multi-Fuel setting and I had problem with igniting the corn with the auto-on feature, but I realized afterwards that the burn pot was not completely cleaned.

I will soon try to increase the % of corn to something like 75-25 ratio. I may then chose the Regular (or Utility) Pellet setting.

So far so good! I'll post more info later on.

I keep searching for switchgrass pellets in my area...

Bye,

Ben

benski,

My Omega had no issues starting straight corn. I tried it several times. Pretty sure the M55 has the same ignitor too. Was the hole in the ignitor dirty/plugger?

Check the air hole too. Make sure it isn't plugged. I stick a piece of wire from the back side thru the hose fitting and blow compressed air about 60 lbs. Thru mine once a month. The air acts like a torch during the ignite stag. I also make sure the hose from the pump is clean. I blow air back to the stove. Never blow air to the pump.

While I am down there I clean my blowers and the air switch hose. Again never blow air to the air switch.

jay

jtakeman said:
benski,
My Omega had no issues starting straight corn. I tried it several times. Pretty sure the M55 has the same ignitor too. Was the hole in the ignitor dirty/plugger?
Check the air hole too. Make sure it isn't plugged. I stick a piece of wire from the back side thru the hose fitting and blow compressed air about 60 lbs. Thru mine once a month. The air acts like a torch during the ignite stag. I also make sure the hose from the pump is clean. I blow air back to the stove. Never blow air to the pump.
While I am down there I clean my blowers and the air switch hose. Again never blow air to the air switch.

jay

I can see you know your stove a lot better than I know mine. But let me have a look when we have a couple feet of snow outside (so I have nothing else to do outside!) and I will get it pretty quick!

In the meantime, I think there are good possibilities I had a blockage somewhere because after cleaning, it restarted very quickly (on pellets though).

Thanks,

Ben

Benski said:
jtakeman said:
benski,

jay

I can see you know your stove a lot better than I know mine........Ben

Ben,

Comes from hanging out here! I learn something new almost every day.

Plus(like you said) you will need something to do when there is nothing else to do(snow on the ground). You will be in my shoes next year. This is my second season with the Omega. I was you last year. You will have fun with it.

Get stuck with something, Give us a shout! I will do my best to assist.

jay

jtakeman said:
You will be in my shoes next year. This is my second season with the Omega. I was you last year. You will have fun with it.

Get stuck with something, Give us a shout! I will do my best to assist.

jay

Thank you for your help!

I may be new here, but I am quite familiar with forums as I have been involved in two others where I have read and posted for the five past years, which has led me to convert two of my cars to run on waste vegetable oil. Something like 60k miles done on free veggie stuff so far!

Going to pellets was therefore a natural move for me after that.

I'll keep you informed about my next tests.

Bye,

Ben

New multi-fuel stove owner, been burning pellets for the first month since install. Just got a few sacks of corn to try, running 100% corn in my St. Croix, works great. Turned stove off last night, and let clinker finish burning out naturally - this am it was a crumbly clinker. Running the stove at factory settings and really pleased. Seems to burn hotter than pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.