Trying new pellets, and then......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travlnusa

Nov 8, 2008
NW Wisconsin
I picked up 5 bags from a different pellet mfg.

They burn MUCH cleaner, no real ash to even look at.

However, the house is 10 degrees cooler, and they are feeding at a lower rate.

Both old and new are premium hardwood, PFI, etc.

Running Breckwell Big E by the way. Stove was running on setting #2, now bumped up to #3.

Out side temp/wind about the same as the past week using the old product.

Is this common when trying new product?

I just tossed something up on the athens pellet review post about this.
Ive been burning athens for a few weeks. I had noticed a ton more ash out of them than the other brands I played with. One thing I didnt notice was the lack of heat. I threw in a bag of a different brand I have, and there was a HUGE difference when the other brand hit.
Its tough having gotten my stove in late this year. This coming spring I'll probably do some more test burning and buy something better and sit on it for the summer, rather than grab three tons of crap last minute like I did this year.

travlnusa said:

Running Breckwell Big E by the way. Stove was running on setting #2, now bumped up to #3.

Ten degrees is HUGE...never had that happen. Actually I've used about 5 different brands and, frankly, never noticed any difference in heat output... only more or less ash.

The Pellet Fuel Institute analysis and specifications allow for sufficient variation in pellet size that feed rate varies between different brands. I usually have to change my low feed settings when I change brands. My experience is that smaller and shorter pellets feed faster-More heat. Your lower heat output may be due to pellet size differences or BTU output between pellets. Can you determine if are using less pellets over time under the same condition? My practice is to choose a setting so I get the cleanest burn possible.

Well, after running the new pellets for 24 hrs now, we have the stove cranked up to #4 setting rather than the #2 we had been using.

So VERY glad I only bought a handful of bags, rather than a skidload.

Back to my Marth Corp pellets in a few days.

travlnusa said:

I'd say that is unusual, however the temp difference could be 90% attributed to the lower feedrate. Lower feedrate obviously equates to less fuel going through the burnpot, which of course means fewer BTUs. It is not that uncommon to have to tweak auger feedrate for different fuels. I have some Corinth pellets that are on the small side, so I have to slow down the feed rate (run on lower settings) to stretch out a bag and match the type of performance I get from the other brand of pellets I am using.
I always pay attention to how long it takes to go through a bag for a particular brand..or a particular settings. This will give you a decent benchmark of the number of BTUs you should be getting in a given period.

One of the guys I work with has always burned Marth pellets. This year he bought 3 skids of Marth and is very disappointed. They are burning very dirty and producing lots of ash. This being the same stove and location as past years. So I don't know if some of the vendors are scrambling for raw materials now that demand is up and the construction industry is down, possible I guess................

travlnusa said:
Well, after running the new pellets for 24 hrs now, we have the stove cranked up to #4 setting rather than the #2 we had been using.

So VERY glad I only bought a handful of bags, rather than a skidload.

Back to my Marth Corp pellets in a few days.

What kind were they? I do notice a temp difference when I go from hardwood to softwood with the stove on the same settings. The softwood produce more heat- maybe 3 degrees in the room with the stove in it.

I agree with your friend goatman-68. I didn't know that much about the quality of pellets as I'm a newbie to all of this but my dealer pointed me in the direction of Marthwood Premium sold at Fleet Farm. I decided on the softwood and what a dirty mess these make in my Mt Vernon freestanding. Glass is sooting up almost immediately after a thorough cleaning which is on the average of at least three times a week with a window clean daily. I've been buying random bags trying to find a happy medium. I'm trying Freedom Fuel at the present, burns hot but has a lot of ash, also tried Ozarks hardwood which burn cleaner but the pellet size is very long. Somersets were the best I had found and of course the big box store I bought four bags from decided to discontiue this brand. Guess we just all have to keep trying and hope at some point we can find the proper fit.

Jester said:
I just tossed something up on the athens pellet review post about this.
Ive been burning athens for a few weeks. I had noticed a ton more ash out of them than the other brands I played with. One thing I didnt notice was the lack of heat. I threw in a bag of a different brand I have, and there was a HUGE difference when the other brand hit.
Its tough having gotten my stove in late this year. This coming spring I'll probably do some more test burning and buy something better and sit on it for the summer, rather than grab three tons of crap last minute like I did this year.

Will always take a few moments out of my day to slam Maine Woods Pellets. Was in the same boat as you and bought 3 tons without any knowledge of this operation.
Well the pellets stink!

mkmh said:
travlnusa said:

I'd say that is unusual, however the temp difference could be 90% attributed to the lower feedrate. Lower feedrate obviously equates to less fuel going through the burnpot, which of course means fewer BTUs. It is not that uncommon to have to tweak auger feedrate for different fuels. I have some Corinth pellets that are on the small side, so I have to slow down the feed rate (run on lower settings) to stretch out a bag and match the type of performance I get from the other brand of pellets I am using.
I always pay attention to how long it takes to go through a bag for a particular brand..or a particular settings. This will give you a decent benchmark of the number of BTUs you should be getting in a given period.

I think this is the case. While I never measured the lenght of each brand, these pellets do appear to be longer, thus I am thinking that the feed rate is being slowed down. I will know for sure Wed am, as that is when I should be refilling the stove. How much is left in there Wed am will let me know if this is the cause.

Thanks to all

Status
Not open for further replies.