Trying some Maine Woods pellets right now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jp0469

Jan 23, 2011
Rochester, MA
So I've been one of the few defenders of Inferno pellets. They have been good for me since last year and I'm using them again this year. My house is small (1200 sq-ft ranch) so I've probably been able to get by with a lower heat pellet. However, I have seen the stove struggle a bit to keep up when the outside temps get into the lower teens and single digits. Since that's where we're headed tonight, I pick up 10 bags of Maine Woods to try out. After a thorough cleaning, I fired up the Harman and the heat output is noticeably higher than what I'm used to. It's about 30 out right now and the house temp shot from 65 to 75 in no time. I'm gonna see how they do this weekend. I'll still use the Infernos for temps above 30 for now but these look promising. I can't comment on the ash yet because I just got going. The pellets seem a little small with quite a few little bits and a lot of fines in the 1st bag I opened. The 2nd one seemed a little better but still worse than I'm used to. The bags did come off a partial skid that was outside so that may have something to do with it. I'll report back after the weekend on how it went.

JP

P.S. Niko definitely approves of these pellets. He is lying even closer to the stove (if that's possible) than in my profile pic.

So far, so good. It went down to 7 degrees last night and it's about 10 right now. The house is a comfortable 71-72 and the pellets aren't even close to the lip of the burnpot so it seems that there is even more heating capacity if needed. After 18 hours of burning strong, there is very little ash formed on the edge of the pot. The 2nd and 3rd bags I opened are more "normal" in terms of pellet size and amount of fines.

Odd that you had such issues with them but it just reinforces the fact that everyone's experiences and stoves are different.

Another cold one tonight so I'll report back tomorrow.

Very pleased with these and their performance over the cold weekend. Ash was minimal with no clinkers. After 4 bags, I had a little haze just on the very corners of the glass which wipes right off. I will consider picking up some more for colder days.. The best price I can find right now is $249/ton but I got some more research to do.

I like my MWP. I've burn these on the coldest days -10* and was able to keep my house at 72*. I have a large 2 story log home. Don't know square footage but it is a good size home and it is not very energy efficient. Guess I'm going to have to figure that out. Lots of nice drafts. I do not have much to compare the MWP to. See sig but I find them not to be too ashy. I can go a ton without emptying the ash pan if I had to. With the cathedral ceilings and the stove being in the middle of the house 4 rooms upstairs stays at least 70*. Only room that is a little cooler is the kitchen which is the furthest away from the stove.
For the price , $219 del, they will definitely be my pellet of choice for next year.

I've done OK with both Maine Woods and Maine's Choice, keep the house warm and only a little more ash than others.

so far so good here.
had to run the stove on high for a few hours when it was well below zero. but the oak arrived today and is going in tomorrow.
so i expect to be even more satisfied w/ the mwps after that.

i could see maybe having a few bags of something super hot for the very coldest nights.
but we were still plenty warm w/ the mwp. just had to run it on high for a bit.

my ash pan doesn't fill fast at all. but the firebox does. i'll give that much to the detractors of this brand.
but i will be buying several tons again next year if they remain the best delivered price available to me.

i guess i'd just say to try them yourselves.
some people seem to really hate them.

*i've had no clinkers with these in the three months i've been burning them.
and the firepot on the ps50 (same one as in the mt. vernon insert and i *think* some other quads) has had exactly zero blocked holes w/ the mwps
but i do clean and scrape the firepot daily.

sinnian said:
How did they do last night? My MWP hardwood were the WORST pellet I have ever used! LOW heat and HIGH ash.

I won't say they are the worst, but they don't put out the heat other pellets do and the ash IS higher as well. I have 45 bags last and I'm gonna save them for late March.

Status
Not open for further replies.