Trying to Decide on Heating Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Believer

Dec 5, 2010
St Louis
I'm going to building a timber frame in Kansas in a couple years. I'm thinking about a radiant slab, propane boiler. But I want to do some wood heat also so I'm thinking about a Rumford fireplace in the living room. What do you think? Should I be thinking about wood stove instead?

Yes. Well, no actualy. I would be thinking about a wood boiler since you are using radiant slab, with the boiler sharing the load with solar hot water. I personaly hate propane, so I would never design around it's use. Additionaly, If I built a new house, much of the heat would be provided by passive solar.

If you were to build a fireplace, a rumsford is a good choice. If you plan to use it for anything other than ambiance, it is a very poor choice indeed.

Dune said:
Yes. Well, no actualy. I would be thinking about a wood boiler since you are using radiant slab, with the boiler sharing the load with solar hot water. I personaly hate propane, so I would never design around it's use. Additionaly, If I built a new house, much of the heat would be provided by passive solar.

If you were to build a fireplace, a rumsford is a good choice. If you plan to use it for anything other than ambiance, it is a very poor choice indeed.
Agreed.

I might consider an electric backup to the wood boiler. As for a fireplace, an open fireplace sucks way too much air out of the house. I would (and obviously did) go with an EPA fireplace.

I would think about a well designed masonry heater instead of a rumford fireplace. Or maybe a Russian fireplace?

I'm with BG - a nice masonry heater would be a beautiful, efficient, and functional way to do it and could easily negate the need for the radiant slab. This could cut your boiler needs down to only needing hot tap and wash water, which could be serviced by a tankless demand-heater. Add passive solar hot water heating to allow the demand-heater to get water up to final temp even quicker, reducing propane usage even more. In-floor 120v electric heat could be laid down just as a backup measure, or you could just go electric baseboard, but in-floor is much more trick.

Absotively, a massonry heater with solar orientation. Funny, sometimes I tell people that someday I will build a house based on a masonry heater, then forget so easily.

Depends on your needs . . . I know if I was to build in the future I would go with either a masonry woodheater or a free-standing woodstove simply because I like watching the fire and I like the simplicity of such a system . . . but if I was aiming for a whole home/even heating situation I would go with a wood-fired high-efficiency boiler . . . if I was going for ambiance and really, really wanted a fireplace I would go with a Rumford.

Building a new home gives an opportunity to get away from the most expensive sources of heat (propane, electric resistance, oil). If I were you that'd be a main goal.
I'd look at:
First: Passive solar design: minor changes to orientation & layout of the home yeilding FREE heat (like 20-50% of total needs) through regular windows at little to no cost.
Second: Tight envelope & excellent insulation (well above code): reducing heating needs & increasing comfort for the life of the home at compaitively little initial outlay.
Then look at how to supply the remainder of heat you need.
Consider: Hydronic radiant slab heated by active solar, Hi-efficiency wood boiler, geothermal or some combo (also supplies your hot water). Using propane hot water heater as back-up for both heat & hot water.
Masonry heater. Goes well with passive solar, not so well with a seperate radiant floor system just because they're a little spendy.
Nice woodstove with propane as back-up.

As I see it: Propane prices will continue a steady rise, or jump significantly. The sun & wood from your own lot will continue to be free.

I would go with a Rumford. I am also going that route in our 3400 sf home. I have taken a little flack here for doing so but nothing beats a roaring fire in a Rumford. And they do make a lot of heat. I just can't get excited about a hot black box in the family room.

This is kinda what I am aiming for:

Attachments

• Forefront1.jpg
    Forefront1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 194
Dune said:
Absotively, a massonry heater with solar orientation. Funny, sometimes I tell people that someday I will build a house based on a masonry heater, then forget so easily.

Dont feel bad. I made myself beleive that Ive already built two. One in the basement and one in the detached garage. Although it was all in my head I forget all about them as soon as I see a post about a BK cat stove or the new Woodstock tertiary burn stove.

Yep, if I ever build the house I want, it will be designed around a masonry heater and solar, maybe with a screamin steel stove like an Englander for quick heat. There will be a quick and easy way to drain the plumbing when I'm away for extended periods, and no other heat. This is when I hit the jackpot and have nothing else to do.

If you're looking for the occasional ambience of a roaring fire in living room, there are probably better choices than the Rumford.Keep in mind you posted this question in a wood heating forum, so we will try to convert you to 100% wood heat, whether you like it not.

Status
Not open for further replies.