Trying to find hearth insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I have a masonary fireplace on an exterior wall, with a stainless insulated liner,
wrapped in the typical silver-foil backed heat resistant insulation. I would like to
insulate the top of the metal block off plate and also insulate the metal box of the
old fireplace before covering it over cement board (the good cement board.. not
the stuff with styrofoam in it). I originally got the liner and insulation from a local
sweep, but would like to buy direct.

Most of the insulation would be about 12" to 18" from the pipe, and behind cement board.
I know I'll need the hearth-rated stuff for the block off plate.. If I don't need very much, I can
get it at a local stove shop for $5 per 1'x2' square, but the entire area, including the old fireplace
box, is about 40 square feet.

Most of this afternoon I've been trying to find hearth rated insulation at local shops and
hardware stores. Discount Stove wants $20 for the same square of mineral wool.

Basically, what do I need, and where can I order it from?

Thanks.. after calling hardware stores all afternoon, its nice to post where people know what
the heck I'm talking about :)

EDIT: OK, I forgot it was also called 'kaowool'.. I did a search for that and found a
site called www.anvilfire.com They have it at a fairly reasonable price. In that case,
I'd like to know if I can use regular fiberglass insulation on the parts of this project
that are furthest from the pipe (12"-18"), and behind the cement board?

If you can use loose fill what about Rockwool or Vermiculite? The Vermiculite you can get from a big garden center and it is fire proof. The Rockwool you can find on the net and the 40# bag I got was close to $25.00.
Don

I'll look into the rock wool. This is basically going to be a cement board wall with insulation behind it to prevent
cold air from coming in when the stove isn't in use, so I'll need something I can attach to the back side
of the board. Eventually I'll put ceramic tile over the front side.

Sorry but the Rockwool is loose fill. Good luck on your project.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.