Trying to find

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
Good evening all I am a newbie on the site and was wondering if someone could give me some information in regards to a brush attachment for my drill to clean the burn pot. Cannot find anywhere.

Thanks

To maybe help you out we need some info of your stove. Most stove burn pots can be fine with a scrape or brushing with a simple arm powered wire brush. Needing to attack it with a powered brush may mean a larger more serious problem.

To maybe help you out we need some info of your stove. Most stove burn pots can be fine with a scrape or brushing with a simple arm powered wire brush. Needing to attack it with a powered brush may mean a larger more serious problem.
thank you for the reply. I have a winslow pi40 lennox insert. It's working great just looking for an easier way to clean the burn pot.

For scraping, i use a pry bar that I sharpen a little on the bench grinder. For the burn pot holes, I use a small round file. Personally I would not want a power attachment for this job as I want to know how deep I am so I don't damage the igniter or ream the holes to a larger diameter.

A pry bar works great, mine is 3/4 inches wide which allows me to clean the side as well.

For scraping, i use a pry bar that I sharpen a little on the bench grinder. For the burn pot holes, I use a small round file. Personally I would not want a power attachment for this job as I want to know how deep I am so I don't damage the igniter or ream the holes to a larger diameter.

A pry bar works great, mine is 3/4 inches wide which allows me to clean the side as well.
Thanks for the tip new to burning so all tips are welcome

I use a plastic putty knife, 1 inch wide. What the heck are you burning that you need a metal chisel or a wire brush???????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Get some of these, good for scraping the pot and cleaning out the holes.

image.jpg

Reactions: thundercracker
I use a plastic putty knife, 1 inch wide. What the heck are you burning that you need a metal chisel or a wire brush???????????!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the tip. I burn newp, cannawicks, easy blaze, awf white pine, Corinth softwood, okanagan gold, mwp, and energy logs aka idaho woods. I am just looking for the easiest way to clean the burn pot. I have a wire detail brush and it's cheap.

Good evening all I am a newbie on the site and was wondering if someone could give me some information in regards to a brush attachment for my drill to clean the burn pot. Cannot find anywhere.

Thanks
I'm a scraper, but if you need a brush for your drill, try a wire wheel attachment.

Welcome to the forum JRA... I use a 1" putty knife and a scotch brite pad to get carbon off the stainless steel burn-pot. It lifts out pretty easy on mine. Once the pot is cooled down, I let it soak in water while I clean-up the rest of the burn chamber.

I think many new pellet burners think they are supposed to keep the inside of their stove "showroom new". Not-gonna-happen... Clean off any carbon buildup/glazing/clinkers, make sure all holes are clear and unobstructed, and then stop worrying about it.

"Clean" means ash and glazing removed, not back to bare metal. I've had to use a drill only once, when I left ashes in all summer and got the slightest bit of rust on the surface in a few spots (I know, very bad stove steward, but it was a rough spring that year). Anyway, you really shouldn't need a drill-powered brush in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.