Trying to fit that last split!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
Is it just me, or does anyone else engage into the "the puzzle of re-loading", theres some space left but your split is too big and your searching for something smaller because that void is driving you nuts!?

I only bring in a small load of wood to sit by the stove. The rest hangs out on the porch in the wood box. That gives me less choices, so close enough is my usual style loading.

I am sorta like begreen.

If I were to "cork" the stove, I would sweat to death in my house. I only do 1/2 to 3/4 loads and still have nice coals after 7-8 hrs.

Andrew

I learned the hard way if it doesnt slide in easily, dont put it in (yes Im talking about CORD wood). Ive had the split catch only being able to fit half way in and have to pull it out and throw it outside. Less wear and tear on the stove too.

I still find myself trying to fit "just one more" in there. But less often as time goes on. Seems that in the end I can't really tell much difference in the end if I do or don't get that split in... or perhaps I just forget to notice? Whatever the case is, 15 minutes after the door is closed and everything is all adjusted I forget all about it until reload time. So why do I keep trying for it? Perhaps it is just the compulsive side of me that just wants to fill every gap or something... I have yet to experience the flaming split that I have to toss out into a snowbank - perhaps if I did it would cure me of the silly game for good?

weatherguy said:
I learned the hard way if it doesnt slide in easily, dont put it in (yes Im talking about CORD wood). Ive had the split catch only being able to fit half way in and have to pull it out and throw it outside. Less wear and tear on the stove too.

+1
Yep did the same thing. Birch bark caught real quick, run outside quick.
Self teacher, do it one time only :lol: LOL

"Reloads" for us, are just a couple (two or three) at a time. When it gets close to time for bed, I'll actually allow the fire to burn down, rather than load the stove up, so that the furnace can fill the gap in the wee hours of the morning while we are fast asleep and unable to tend the fire. That way, in the morning, I can turn the furnace off when I get up, which hasn't run much at that point, and re-start the wood stove (usually a "hot start").

Filling all the gaps would be overkill for us.

-Soupy1957

Slow1 said:
I still find myself trying to fit "just one more" in there. But less often as time goes on. Seems that in the end I can't really tell much difference in the end if I do or don't get that split in... or perhaps I just forget to notice? Whatever the case is, 15 minutes after the door is closed and everything is all adjusted I forget all about it until reload time. So why do I keep trying for it? Perhaps it is just the compulsive side of me that just wants to fill every gap or something... I have yet to experience the flaming split that I have to toss out into a snowbank - perhaps if I did it would cure me of the silly game for good?

Slow1:

I figured you would be applying thermally conductive grease between the splits! I hear it helps squeeze out all the BTU's left behind in the wood. :lol:

I am constantly trying to get that last split jammed in. The Fireview's firebox seems just a little small, if there were just a little more room in there....
My goal is to make sure after an overnight burn that I still have a stovetop temp over 250 F so that in the morning reloads can take less than 10 minutes. I am convinced that getting that last split in there has helped.

When it is very cold, I'm looking for max BTU's in the stove, so I'm hoping for a very full box. I try to have a variety of split sizes, and if I don't have a split to fit that last spot, I usually head to the stack (in a storage room just off the garage and easy to get to), grab the right sized split and fill the gap. If it is 'normal' temps outside, I'll leave the gap and not worry. Cheers!

Depends on the weather and time of day. If it's just a normal reload, I don't get too hung up on squeezing every cubic inch of wood I can in. If it's very cold outside and it's for an overnight or long period away, then I'll play the 3-D puzzle game. As others have posted, this takes some care if the splits aren't nice and straight and smooth. Never had to take a flaming split out yet, but I have had to leave one partially inserted for a few minutes while I pried on the others with a poker to get that last one to go.

Fitting wood in the stove is quite the same as stacking wood outside. Notice the difference in people's wood stacks. Some are neat and some, well, are a bit sloppy. I know not why, but when I stack wood it just seems that certain splits belong in certain areas of the building stack. It usually comes out pretty good. Same goes for the stove. Now if we look at my wife, I will not allow her to stack wood! She is terrible at it. Same goes for the stove. If I look at the stove after she fills it....well, I just have to look away. But many times she is calling on me to fix the danged stove because the fire won't burn right. I make a couple of adjustments and all is well. It ticks her off immensely, but it works. She calls it my magic poke. Just poke a log and the fire takes right off. No, I am not bragging; far from it. Just telling the difference between two people. Yes, I have at times looked at this as a bit of a puzzle you want to put together right.

gdk84 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else engage into the "the puzzle of re-loading", theres some space left but your split is too big and your searching for something smaller because that void is driving you nuts!?

I do it if it's cold out.

Attachments

• Full load Feb 2011.jpg
    Full load Feb 2011.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 421
I split two sizes and keep them in separated in the rack, so I have thin for starter and to top off the reload.

Jimbob said:
gdk84 said:

HELLZ YEAHZ Jimbob!

I play some stove Tetris myself

Jimbob said:
gdk84 said:

That thing BURNS like THAT??!!??

Backwoods Savage said:
Fitting wood in the stove is quite the same as stacking wood outside. Notice the difference in people's wood stacks. Some are neat and some, well, are a bit sloppy. I know not why, but when I stack wood it just seems that certain splits belong in certain areas of the building stack. It usually comes out pretty good. Same goes for the stove. Now if we look at my wife, I will not allow her to stack wood! She is terrible at it. Same goes for the stove. If I look at the stove after she fills it....well, I just have to look away. But many times she is calling on me to fix the danged stove because the fire won't burn right. I make a couple of adjustments and all is well. It ticks her off immensely, but it works. She calls it my magic poke. Just poke a log and the fire takes right off. No, I am not bragging; far from it. Just telling the difference between two people. Yes, I have at times looked at this as a bit of a puzzle you want to put together right.

Dennis - we've heard of your 'magic poke' before.........let's leave that info between you and the wife...... ;-P . Cheers!

Jimbob said:
gdk84 said:

Holy Cow that's alot of wood in one stove! I'm jealous as there is no way I could fit that much in mine.

Jimbob said:
gdk84 said:

:lol: I like that! N/S loading is cool. Big fireboxes are too! I can only fit about half that in mine! :lol: Well maybe between 1/2 and 2/3. This time of year, I don't fill it up all the way as much. Even a loosely filled firebox can last up to 12 hours in the mild weather for us. With no match restart.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 290
Sometimes when I have one of those almost fits sized splits I leave it out for 15-30 minutes and let the load burn a little and settle, then open the door and it usually slides right in.

Here was my old stove with a near full load. My new one will only hold 6 splits yet it puts out more heat with close to the same burn time.

Attachments

• grizzly.jpg
    grizzly.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 197
burleymike said:
Here was my old stove with a near full load. My new one will only hold 6 splits yet it puts out more heat with close to the same burn time.

Thanks for the posts guys! I dont feel alone haha!

burleymike is your new one the osburn? my parents have a osburn insert and it is one heck of a stove. The canadians def do know how to build a stove, thats for sure!

Yeah my new one is the Osburn. It is a lot more efficient than the old first generation catalytic stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.