Trying to get ahead...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bwise.157

Burning Hunk
Oct 24, 2013
heath, ohio
The Midwest winter is toying with us. Tried to cut today for next year and beyond, and just couldn't get to the wood. 4x4 couldn't get 50' into the field. JD4020 went 30'. Ending up using a skid loader with tire chains and only got two cherry trees taken down and cut. Trying to get ahead before the spring thaw and planting season, but mother nature just isn't helping! Normally I can get quite a bit done this time of year, but I guess not this year!

Same thing here. Can't get to a lot of the wood that I'd like to get to. I really wanted to get on top of things and as much done as I could before the frost starts to come out of the ground, but the snow just isn't going to cooperate, and with cold temps for the next 7+ days, and more snow tomorrow,,,, it'll get done when it gets done I guess.

I moved your thread over to the wood shed where it fits right in.

Good luck,

pen

2-3' of snow in my woods. I was hoping to get the tractor in to pull out a few maple and ash that I had marked . No way that was going to happen and I don't want to use the dozer . I'll try to cut some trees off the driveway , its 1800 ft long, so its easy pickings.

We don't have that much snow but it has been bitterly cold for the past month. Today was the first break in the temps. I know I am a softie but when my fingers are numb, it gets too dangerous using a chainsaw. I thought I had plenty css for a full year but the weather in Feb. has knocked that down to a lot less.

Reactions: jaoneill
Take the next week or two or three or..........off
Nothing but a sheet of ice around here
Spring will be here....well soon.....

You could go out and cut, then return later to pick up the wood.

You could go out and cut, then return later to pick up the wood.
In must situations, that is what I do. Where this stuff was located was about a half mile of the beaten path, and on the edge of a woods. I like to cut down the trees into the woods, trim, then pull to a better area for bucking. A lot less cleanup!

Same story here. Normally I finish cutting and blocking in Feb and first part of March, before the sap starts running; that much less moisture in the wood. I spent most of this afternoon just opening up a half mile of road to the woodlot through 4-5 foot hard packed drifts. Had to use the loader tractor, too much snow to move with the plow tractor.
It does look as though I may be able to begin cutting this week. There is about 3' of snow in the woods, but it's light fluffy stuff. It will be a bear to wade through while dropping trees, but I had the 80 hp Mahindra 7520 AWD down there this afternoon and she walks through it easily. The hope is that I can drop, top and skid the main trunks out to the landing and go back for the tops when the snow is gone. I prefer using the Sweet Alice 6070 2WD in the woods because it is a lot more maneuverable and, with the arch, it will comfortably skid two or three 20" X 40'-50' trees in a hitch. However, I think that as clumsy as it is, I am going to have to make do with the AWD for now.

Im in middle of eastern NY and my next door neighbor works for the water dept. He told me the frost line is 5-6 feet deep.
Pretty amazing with all the snow we have. Its gonna be a fun spring.

Reactions: pen
Im in middle of eastern NY and my next door neighbor works for the water dept. He told me the frost line is 5-6 feet deep.
Pretty amazing with all the snow we have. Its gonna be a fun spring.

I'm 50 miles northeast of Watertown, most of the villages around here have folks trickling their water all night to keep stuff from freezing up. I've heard the same story with frost 5-6 feet deep; been a long winter.......

I can't wait to dig 8 holes to put up a batting cage, right now there's a foot of ice on top....

Status
Not open for further replies.