Trying to get on a plan....3 years?!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goofa

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2012
Central New York
This is my start to the three year p lan.... not so much.

Attachments

• IMG_20140405_162324_204.jpg
    IMG_20140405_162324_204.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20140405_162429_018.jpg
    IMG_20140405_162429_018.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20140405_162401_071.jpg
    IMG_20140405_162401_071.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20140405_162346_660.jpg
    IMG_20140405_162346_660.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 208
One does, what one can, when one is able...... good start!

Reactions: PapaDave
One small step to a woodpile. One giant step for a woodburner.

This will be my third year but first all over with a new stove this fall so it will definitely be a learning curve. It felt almost impossible to get ahead with the ole' papa bear. Hopefully it will be an easier task with a new stove but God bless that darn smoke dragon. And hopefully this wood.will be ok for fall. I'm not ideal but ok...?? Mostly maple and cherry and ash and a little Apple.

Looking good. Every wood stack starts out like yours. 3 years out is good insurance. :)

I'm trying to get my '15-'16 firewooding in gear. Got the trees down, limbed and bucked back in December. It's been too muddy in the woodlot to get the rounds out.

Well seeing I have no wood for this year even you are way further ahead than me. I'm just praying that this stuff I split and stack now will be ok in November. It's in a wide open field with plenty of wind and Sun shine. >>

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
This will be my third year but first all over with a new stove this fall so it will definitely be a learning curve. It felt almost impossible to get ahead with the ole' papa bear. Hopefully it will be an easier task with a new stove but God bless that darn smoke dragon. And hopefully this wood.will be ok for fall. I'm not ideal but ok...?? Mostly maple and cherry and ash and a little Apple.
Those are all pretty quick seasoning, should be ok.

I HOPE that I'm splitting 15-16 wood. But frankly... .My snow piles on top of the pallets of wood are so big.. I don't KNOW what's under there!

I can't get any more pallets out. There's 4 inches of hard ice surrounding all of it. I stole a bucket full of splits to cary into the house with the tractor. But I told the wife to let it go to oil this week while I'm away.

New pallet racking is in the barn.. and Near as I can figure I've got space for 10 cord in the racks. Looking for a used forklift.

I've burned 10 cord since Oct 10.. I HOPE that's the 'high water mark'

We all struggle to get ahead and stay ahead.

JP

everyone has to start somewhere, collecting wood is like collecting anything else, you start off small, and before you know it you have piles of it. Keep up the good work, and don't "burn" yourself out, btw nice saw!!

We all had to start with a pile like that. Take your time and do what you can. Before long you'll have more wood than you know what to do with!

Good job, you might want to raise that stack off the ground though......

Some of that wood for sure will be ready to burn next winter. Try first for the cherry and ash. If some of that maple was dead, that too could be ready. Not so on the apple. Better to save that for the following winter.

I'm just getting started on mine too. Here's what I have so far.

burugabe.jpg

Pile on the left is oak that I split last weekend. Pile on the right is pine that I picked up last night off Craigslist and split today. Unfortunately the area I'm going to put my stacks is still covered in a foot of snow, so it will be here in piles until the snow melts.

Keep at it all summer and you'll be in good shape. You can't have too much.

This summer already seems too short. It's going to be a busy year with trying to get ahead on wood, plan our wedding this fall, work to pay for our honeymoon and finish this remodel job for the new living room and hearth uggghhh so much to do. But every little chance I can I'm trying to get the wood out of the way for now.

Do the gift registration at a firewood dealer.

This summer already seems too short. It's going to be a busy year with trying to get ahead on wood, plan our wedding this fall, work to pay for our honeymoon and finish this remodel job for the new living room and hearth uggghhh so much to do. But every little chance I can I'm trying to get the wood out of the way for now.
You better, wait till you get kids............................................................................................................................................

Hey now you're talking !!!!! Actually we are selling our jotul castine to help pay for the honeymoon and are gonna use the money from our wedding to buy a new Oslo:eek:

Humble beginnings lead to large piles of wood. All of my wood work is done piece meal. No need to get it all done in one weekend - just work when you can and admire the piles as they grow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.