trying to make a educated decision Englander 30 or Blaze King, Blaze King pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I am looking to upgrade my stove. I have a 20 ft interior chimney with clay 8 X flue. I am trying to heat a 2200 sq ft raised ranch the upper level only. Need something with good heat output and a long overnight burn. I have been thinking of 2 stoves the England 30 or a Blaze king king. The dilemma is the England is cheaper but if I have to install a 6inch linear the cost of the stove material and labor will be equal or close to the cost of the KING. So should I do the King.
Also what have some of you guys paid for a King I got a quote for basic king parlor for $3890, but I think that is crazy. I thought more about 23- 28 hundred would be more realistic.
Please comment on one or both.

PS I am SE Mass.

If you can stand the looks of the king, big mac box, then it is a superior performing stove to just about anything on the market. Longer burn times, bigger firebox, automatic stat, etc. You should totally buy the BK. How can you not like 24+ hour burntimes? Burntimes are the most important thing with a stove meant to be used as a primary heater.

Getting a good price on one east of the Mississippi is a problem. I can buy the BK for much much less than you simply because I live west of that river. Strange but true.

You could probably drive West to pick one up and spend less in gas than you save on the stove... good weekend project, but after-the-sale service might be a challenge.

Those Mississippi river barge operators have some kind of racket going, a grand plus to get a skid across? I can have a pallet on a plane to Europe for not much more than that.

My King sits in a 1100 sq ft room over a currently unheated lower walkout level and also heats another 1000 sq ft around the L of the house on the main level. The room the stove is in also has 50 ft of glass and sits on top of a windy ridge. I think the King would be coasting for you and will likely give you 24 hour burns even in the middle of the winter. The really nice thing about these stoves is that they will burn very low clean. But, its not pretty and your show through the glass will be limited to some glows most of the time.

kwikrp said:
I am looking to upgrade my stove. I have a 20 ft interior chimney with clay 8 X flue. I am trying to heat a 2200 sq ft raised ranch the upper level only. Need something with good heat output and a long overnight burn. I have been thinking of 2 stoves the England 30 or a Blaze king king. The dilemma is the England is cheaper but if I have to install a 6inch linear the cost of the stove material and labor will be equal or close to the cost of the KING. So should I do the King.
Also what have some of you guys paid for a King I got a quote for basic king parlor for $3890, but I think that is crazy. I thought more about 23- 28 hundred would be more realistic.
Please comment on one or both.

PS I am SE Mass.

Either stove can be stubbed in with a direct connect. It'll mean sloppier cleaning and perhaps some draft loss, but I would think that the Englander would be ok given the specs. Considering the $2000 difference, I'd opt for the 30NC. Even with a full liner it would be $1000 less and IMO a better looking stove.

However, if this is truly only heating the upper half (1100 sq ft.?) then either stove might be overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.