trying to re install my stove pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mushman

Mar 8, 2008
Long Island NY
A few weeks ago I had to do my floors under my Jotul 3cb so I un screwed the top and inched it forward till the whole pipe came undone.
Now I'd like to get it back together.
If a stove being installed is placed in the spot it's going, does the installer start at the stove and go up?, or does he start at the ceiling collar and work their way to the stove?.
The collar inside the stove is all the way down and I still don't have enough room to put in the last section, not even close.
It's only 2 1/2 pipe sections and it's kicking my butt.
It really seems way too tight.I feel like snipping a little off and using the adjustable collar inside the stove to make up the difference.
How much give is there supposed to be?.

Sounds like you need an adjustable section of pipe. I don't know anything about single wall, sorry.

The pipe can be cut to length by most any hardware store.

Thanks guys.I had to move the stove forward on some extra pergo I had.I got the pipe in and slid the stove into place.It wasn't easy, but it worked.
Adjustable pipe was my next option if the slide thing didn't work.
The instructions with my Stove say the stove collar should be flush with the top of the stove.So I still don't see how you fit the pipe together without moving the stove, or raising the collar past the stove top.
I repainted the top(had a little rust where my steamer is), and stove pipe so I'll do a low temp burn later tonight.

Glad you got it together again. A slider section at the top where it goes into the ceiling works very well.
We wouldn't be without one and you slide the pipe up quite a ways which makes no problems in getting
the pipe re installed. Our new stove needed a couple of 45s to move it back some and with the slider
pipe we were able to slide it up enough to accomadate them without any pipe cutting. There is still a
couple of inches left in adjustment before we would have to cut off the pipe. Needed to have some room
left so it could slide for expansion and contraction.

In the past when I took my stove out to paint it I wood nudge the stove away from the thimble till it cleared then pulled the pipe from the stove. Wirebrush the pipe end that goes into your stove to make reassembly easier...then just nudge the stove and pipe back into the thimble.

Status
Not open for further replies.