tsc 22 ton hydro tank crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Ok so i finally got the time to try and fix the crack in my tank at the engine mount. I had it mig welded first but it still leaked. I fired up my stick welder on DC+ and used a 7018 rod to try and seal it. No good. Still leaks. Ground it down and went at it with a 6011 rod for more penetration and still have some pinholes. Seems like the oil residue is keeping the weld from making a good seal no matter how tall i build it up. It even cracked one weld while i was welding on the opposite side of the mount. So the fluid is vaporizing and keeping the weld from sealing off is all i can figure. Yes i did drain the oil. I also used thinner to dry up the oil on the outside of the metal. Do i just need to try some epoxy or try brazing it? I think ive slowed it down and just got two small holes now but it seems i just keep moving the leak every time i try to weld it. thanx

Are you leaving the fill cap off as a vent when welding? May also want to try Tig welding it as that seems to work better than mig or stick on things like that.

Good Luck,
Rob

Any chance of grinding the repair weld down and welding a patch around the cracked area? sometimes better to do that than try to weld a crack on contaminated metal

If you know how to TIG weld that is the process i would use, you can go rent a machine from a welding supply store, and as stated above, leave the cap off the tank and any fittings that can be left open should be as well to relieve the pressure from the heat and welding gas

yea i unscrewed the fill cap. The main leak is right at the bottom tip of the motor mount at the right angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.