TSC 27 ton Splitter on sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
TSC has their splitter on sale again for $ 999. Just got the flyer in the mail. I sure would like to buy one, but I am gonna stick with the cheap rental for now. Thought I'd put it out there for those who were waiting for it to go on sale.

I assume you mean the 22 ton model?

That's a pretty good price , the local chain that sells speeco here goes on sale for about 104900 or 1099.00 have now seen below 1000.00 for a couple of years.

peterc38 said:
I assume you mean the 22 ton model?

Oops - that's the one. 22 ton,

Still a great price for this 22 ton. Runs 3/31 to 4/5 at your tractor supply.

That's the sale I've been waiting on. I hope that's not a store grand opening sale.

bsa0021 said:
That's the sale I've been waiting on. I hope that's not a store grand opening sale.

My local TSC has had the 22 ton splitter tagged at $999 for a few weeks.

Just got the new ad today. I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow or Thurs. I got some 25-30" diameter maple today to try on it.

Just in Blains Farm and Fleet today and the have the speeco 27t model for 1189.00 assembled so 999.00 sounds like a good deal.

Picked mine up last night. Assembled it myself , with my nephew helping with the beam, and ran a log through before I quit for the night. Weekend is warm and sunny so I should get a good start on my 3 years worth of wood.

bsa0021 said:
Picked mine up last night. Assembled it myself , with my nephew helping with the beam, and ran a log through before I quit for the night. Weekend is warm and sunny so I should get a good start on my 3 years worth of wood.

Nice, go to town on it this weekend and post up some pics! :)

I got one yesterdayt TSC and the $995 at my local store included assembly and oil for the engine and splitter also installed. I split a cord of ash, apple and silver maple after I brought it homeafter work. I liked it very much and look forward to using it to split some large ash rounds this afternoon.

Dan

I was glad I assembled mine myself (easy job). Not sure if the guy at the store would take much care greasing/installing the bearings.
Here's a picture of the first piece I tried. About a 25"- 30" diameter gnarly maple. Worked great. I split for an hour until it got dark so I'll get pics tomorrow of my progress. 2nd pic is what I have to split. I was kind of surprised that I only ran 1 1/4 hours on one tank but I will stack in between fill-ups to let it cool down.
I can't imagine why you would buy a higher tonage splitter. They would really suck down the gas. :)

Attachments

• work pictures 002.jpg
    work pictures 002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 478
  • work pictures 001.jpg
    work pictures 001.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 471
Anyone know how much TSC wants for the splitter table?

bsa0021 said:

I got the table from 33Flame on EBay. I think it was about $85 including shipping. It installs/uninstalls in seconds and has stood to a lot of splitting with no issues yet.

IMG_0601.jpg

Peterc38, did you have to drill any holes in your beam?

ApproximateLEE said:
I was at Home Depot Wed. and they had a 20 ton model on sale for $999 also. Don't remember the brand.

That's a no name brand and it is always $999. If you look close the beam and beam components are actually better designed than the MTD unit. The 2010 model at TSC (22 ton) was a better product for me.

bsa0021 said:
Peterc38, did you have to drill any holes in your beam?

Yes, had to drill 3 holes. Once you drill the holes and do the install, you don't need to loosen the nardware to remove /install table.

bsa0021 said:

I bought the Speeco “log catcher”. I like that it bolted on easily and that you can leave it on when you tip the splitter up into vertical position. My splitter is a true Speeco; this catcher might not attach quite as simply on a the *old* 22 ton Huskee splitters, because that model’s beam contruction is different than mine. (But I just saw some new Huskee 22's at TSC that have the same beam as my Speeco). Speeco support would know for sure: their # is 800-525-8322. They don’t sell direct but can refer you to a distributor. In my case the local TSC wasn’t interested in ordering the log catcher; I ended up ordering it over the phone from a place in Oklahoma. Cost me just under 55 bucks including shipping. (Two years ago). I’m happy with it.

bsa0021 said:
I was glad I assembled mine myself (easy job). Not sure if the guy at the store would take much care greasing/installing the bearings.
Here's a picture of the first piece I tried. About a 25"- 30" diameter gnarly maple. Worked great. I split for an hour until it got dark so I'll get pics tomorrow of my progress. 2nd pic is what I have to split. I was kind of surprised that I only ran 1 1/4 hours on one tank but I will stack in between fill-ups to let it cool down.
I can't imagine why you would buy a higher tonage splitter. They would really suck down the gas. :)

That gas milage sounds about right , and you are correct thats the biggest complaint with the guys going to bigger splitters as they are gas hogs .

bsa0021 said:

Sometimes one wants just a little more grunt to get through the tough, gnarly pieces . . . since I use quite a bit of elm and often have crotches and other ugly wood to split (my friend even tosses his ugly wood on my pile since he doesn't want to deal with it) I went with the larger splitter.

I went to the TSC today and got my splitter for $999. It was all assembled, and he started it up and ran it through its' paces just to make sure it was ready to go. Today is the last day for the sale. I also asked if they give a veteran's discount like HD and Lowe's, but he said no. It never hurts to try.

I can't imagine why you would buy a higher tonage splitter.
Firefighterjake: Sorry, I didn't mean that the wrong way. I try to avoid taking the real tough to split wood. Especially, since I've been real lucky finding free wood. I've got to just say no until I get caught up on my splitting.

I've been waiting for this thing to go on sale. I was in there today and my store was sold-out, but at least I got a rain check, and they have some units coming in Wednesday. I'm leaving for a week of sunshine, beach and golf in Florida on Wednesday, but I'll be anxious to get home and pick-up my new splitter! Life is Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.