TSC Splitter issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
Went to TSC today to check out their splitters. First thing I noticed was where you stand to operate in horizontal mode - the operating position is right where the splits will fall when they are split, plus the engine is very close also. Looks like you would constantly be stepping on splits or having them fall off and hit your feet or possibly hit the engine. Am I missing something here? I realize in vertical position this isn't an issue but I can't see sitting and splitting for a long time as your back would be bent over the whole time. I know Dennis only splits this way - maybe his back is already bent. (Just a joke). What am I missing?

Modern splitters aren't as work friendly as older ones imo. But most operators will grab the near split and toss it during the return cycle.

I've got the red 22 ton from TSC and rotate the split rounds 90 degrees so they don't fall when I split in the horizontal position. I did notice that the new ones at the local store (from when I saw them last week) have pre drilled holes for a bolt-on table. I might make my own for mine if I have a lot of 18" or smaller rounds. If i had it to do over, I'd buy the one with the Honda GX160 from NorthernTool.com, as my B&S sucks down the gas.

Roxburyeric said:
Went to TSC today to check out their splitters. First thing I noticed was where you stand to operate in horizontal mode - the operating position is right where the splits will fall when they are split, plus the engine is very close also. Looks like you would constantly be stepping on splits or having them fall off and hit your feet or possibly hit the engine. Am I missing something here? I realize in vertical position this isn't an issue but I can't see sitting and splitting for a long time as your back would be bent over the whole time. I know Dennis only splits this way - maybe his back is already bent. (Just a joke). What am I missing?

I think you'll find many of the splitters today are set up so that you're standing right where the split will fall . . . which is why having a table or cradle is kind of nice. A definite drawback is also having the engine so close to where the splits are . . . again a good argument for having a table or cradle to hold the split to keep it from dropping on the engine or any fittings.

I suspect what most folks do is split the wood and as the ram is being retracted toss the split to a nearby pile with the remainder of the round sitting on the beam and/or cradle.

Also, while I am a horizontal splitter I will defend Dennis' vertical splitting technique . . . he splits while sitting on a stool of some sort if memory serves me correctly and he has the rounds right by the splitter. It works well for him . . . not so well for me . . . I find myself constantly getting up and then sitting down again to get a split. For me it's harder on my body to get up and down, up and down . . . but for him and his splitting it is easier on his back . . . so I say go with whatever works for you. That said, I do split very large and very heavy rounds vertically . . . but once they're split into manageable chunks I'll go back to splitting horizontally.

I understand that splitting horizontally is easier on the back (less up and down) Aren't you actually lifting more?? I mean from the ground to the cradle?
It seems to me (maybe just my feeble mind) that when vertical, being able to roll your round up to the base and toss the splits into an awaiting pile is the less traumatic endeavor.

I will line up 15-20 rounds to the left side of the splitter, roll them into place, split to the right, and toss 'em aside

Not saying I'm any expert, but I've never been a fan of splitting horizontally

Werm has it right. Why lift all those logs when it is not necessary?

Jake has it right even though he does part of his splitting the wrong way.

Eric is right too! My back is already bent. I have a terrible back and sometimes have to go days or even weeks doing practically nothing due to back pain (part from polio, part from an injury).

I do place the splitter so the wheel is right tight against the pile of logs. The newer splitters are not as wide as my older one so you could get those even closer. This picture may not the best to show but if you look closely you can see how I do it. Notice there are 4 rows of logs. I split 2 rows at a time, moving the splitter as I go. At present I am working on the second set of 2 rows so when I get these 2 rows done there is only a part of one row left to split. Then I'll start the stacking chore.

Split-2010b.gif

The splitter is tight to the stack. The first row I just reach out and grab a log. The second row is a bit of a reach. Not long ago people were posting about a hook for grabbing. When I split the axe is usually right by me and if I can't get a log from the second pile, rather than getting up, I can just reach with the axe and pull it to me far enough so I can then get a hand on the log.

When I get a log off the stack, I simply let it fall to the ground and then most of the time using only my left hand will roll it onto the splitting block.

I do not constantly get up and down although from time to time I will get up; usually for a drink of water. Also I have to get up every so often to move the splitter ahead when I run out of wood which is what has to be done no matter the method used.

I do not get a sore back from bending. I pretty much sit the same as if I were in a chair. How is that bending bad? I do not understand when this is claimed.

I have a time or two split some big logs right where I cut them. For this I usually just get down on my knees to do just a couple of logs.

Backwoods Savage said:
Werm has it right. Why lift all those logs when it is not necessary?

Jake has it right even though he does part of his splitting the wrong way.

Eric is right too! My back is already bent. I have a terrible back and sometimes have to go days or even weeks doing practically nothing due to back pain (part from polio, part from an injury).

I do place the splitter so the wheel is right tight against the pile of logs. The newer splitters are not as wide as my older one so you could get those even closer. This picture may not the best to show but if you look closely you can see how I do it. Notice there are 4 rows of logs. I split 2 rows at a time, moving the splitter as I go. At present I am working on the second set of 2 rows so when I get these 2 rows done there is only a part of one row left to split. Then I'll start the stacking chore.

Split-2010b.gif

The splitter is tight to the stack. The first row I just reach out and grab a log. The second row is a bit of a reach. Not long ago people were posting about a hook for grabbing. When I split the axe is usually right by me and if I can't get a log from the second pile, rather than getting up, I can just reach with the axe and pull it to me far enough so I can then get a hand on the log.

When I get a log off the stack, I simply let it fall to the ground and then most of the time using only my left hand will roll it onto the splitting block.

I do not constantly get up and down although from time to time I will get up; usually for a drink of water. Also I have to get up every so often to move the splitter ahead when I run out of wood which is what has to be done no matter the method used.

I do not get a sore back from bending. I pretty much sit the same as if I were in a chair. How is that bending bad? I do not understand when this is claimed.

I have a time or two split some big logs right where I cut them. For this I usually just get down on my knees to do just a couple of logs.

Well at least you have good taste in picking out your ATV. ;) :) . . . although you could have gone with a Honda. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.