ttricks on getting a liner around a bend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhorzepa

Jan 1, 2012
North Jersey
Oh my...it's been several hours, and several redesigns to our diy nose cone...And the liner is still getting snagged

We're going from the bottom up due to a cement topper which will crumble if we remove it

hellllppp

It might be worth losing the concrete cap so that you can get an eyeball on the obstruction. You can recast a new topper pretty easily.

Was the chimney completely and thoroughly cleaned before starting on this project?

You need to drop a heavy rope from the top that can be attached to the nose cone. If you were coming from the top, you can twist the liner as it goes down while someone pulls the rope. From the bottom up you will struggle alot more! A rope is your only hope.

When I was putting my liner in I had a friend on the bottom tugging on the rope while I twisted and bounced to motivate it to go down the flue.

Reactions: webby3650
Well my husband's threat of smashing the concrete topper (and coming home with the neighbors sledge) helped. Got it past the two bends!
Our rope at the top isn't a lot of help because the concrete topper is in the way (and I'm a weakling virus my husband).
Now we probably have 5 feet to go and it's stuck again. But we think we just need more muscle (we had to stop because we were exhausted and it was late)

Status
Not open for further replies.