Tubing Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gradwell

Mar 26, 2008
western pa
Getting ready to install 5700 ft. of 1/2" tubing in slab. Any problems out there with Thermapex? Als.o was wondering if anybody has used MAXX R system for underground install? I have a 100 ft. run and this is the product my local supplier offers. Would like to do as recommended here and go with foam in ditch, but no foam companies in area and too small of a project too bring somebody in for. Thanks for the help!

WOW 5700' of 1/2" is a lot of tubing. I only have 800' of 1/2" pex in a crawl space. The largest of five loops is 200'. I'm only showing 5gpm flow using a taco 009, a 007 flows about half that. I'm feeding my Zurn manifold with 1" copper and a 1" mixing valve. I don't know if the mixing valve restricts flow or not. If you haven't purchased your pex yet 3/4" might work better for you. Sounds like some professional design help might be in order. You'll find some good help in the boiler room.

7 zones and 21 loops. should be fun!! Ha Ha! Was prof. designed. I unfort. am not knowledgable enough to know if it is correct or not. I just get to pay the bill and hope for the best. I just wanna be sure that there are no reported problems with the Thermapex and if there are any users of the MAXX R. Thanks again too all.

I'll be burying 1" ThermaPex 4" down 160" of it to be exact. I have looked into Maxx-R myself and quickly decided against using it. The dist for my area told me that its been redesigned and the new stuff is more expensive. I decided to use Foam it Green http://www.guardianenergytech.com/.

To many joints to seal up and in my opinion, where there is a seam or a joint water will eventually find a way in.

Thank you trehugr. So if I run supply and return in same ditch, do i first spray foam on bottom -then pex -then foam -then pex -then foam? If so, how much foam at each layer? Any idea of life expectancy for this install? thanks

Is this a closed cell type foam? I am wondering in a ground applications if it will become saturated over time and loose R-value.

Status
Not open for further replies.