Tulikivi owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChuckDay

Dec 23, 2023
Leelanau County, Michigan
In northern Michigan and just inherited a beautiful Tulikivi fireplace with our new house. I love it so far, but would like to hear from other Tulikivi owners to learn best practices, maintenance, things to avoid, etc. I have a model TU2200. According to my chimney tech., these are pretty rare.

IMG_2434.jpeg

Nice! Love those masonry heaters. Not too many people around here heating with these. How much square footage are you heating with it? I’ve done a little research into these and they’re a different animal than a regular fireplace or wood stove. You burn them wide open with a full load of wood once or twice per day and let the radiant heat from the stone do it’s thing.

Reactions: ctreitzell
Never saw one in action. I worked on a house that was installing one; it was new construction from the ground up house. There was a lot of support for in in the basement as I remember.

A friend had one built up in Alaska. It's a beautiful stove. It was too warm when I was there, but he said they fired it up usually twice a day with a hot fire in the morning and at night.

I had a custom built masonry heater in our old home outside Alexandria, Ontario. They are simple to manage, build large fires and burn hot to heat up the mass. Ash there was usually very little for us but depending on the wood you are burning, empty once every couple days. Leave any coals behind as they will help start your next fire one you stack in all your wood and close the door with air open. I so wish I still had the masonry heater….nothing compares to them.

Depending on the age of it, you may need to replace fire bricks eventually.

One of the biggest questions I have with them is the shut down procedure, there's no doubt that they work well, but I've watched videos were people fire a big load then after the fire is almost down to coals they shut down the air to keep the draft low so the heat doesnt seep out of the chimney?

Once the fire has burned down to coals, yup shutdown the air as the mass has heated up and will continue to radiant for many hours.

I don't own a Tulikivi but do have a masonry heater. Your heater weighs around 4000 pounds - so it is sized as small-medium. It is on an outer wall and the house has cathedral ceilings. Also, you are in a cold area. So, this must be part of the heating solution for this house unless your house is small and well insulated.

You'll probably be burning 2 fires a day in the winter if you want it to do some heating. You can build a tee-pee type of fire in the firebox. This will allow you to get more wood in there. An 'inferno' type fire works in masonry heaters. That is big, fast, and hot (when wanted).

There is an air damper high or low on that heater. Open it at the start of the burn. Close it at the end of the burn. You might want to use an alarm to remind you when the fire is likely to be done. If the damper is left open heat is drafted up and out the chimney.

You appear to have three clean-outs, two low and one in the middle (maybe four). Pop these little round doors off and insert a vacuum nozzle to suck out ashes. Do this once or twice a year. Of course, burn dry wood (<20% moisture content). Also there is some way to let air into the fire. I don't see any little twisties/vents on the door so it must be the ash door that lets air in. /maybe there is a little slide at the bottom of the fire door.

Last edited:
we visited a local (Le Mans, France) fireplace / heating vendor yesterday and the rep was suggesting Tulikivi for our purposes...she had a lot of photos of various installs they've done over the years

the house we plan to build later this year is about 5000sqft footprint and we already live in the adjoining barn conversion

I did see this @ChuckDay OP last month and had thought this was a US brand, but, no...it's Finnish

We may opt for a couple of these in the massive buildings we have...I have a lot of wood, but not living in a forest amounts...I have lots of space to store drying wood and intend to build more. Since we'll be building in stages, it's likely we'll be looking at a huge roof with a shell of some type and a massive area to heat. It's not overly cold, here...but some type of heating is usually required for about 6 mos of the year

and my Mrs loves the idea of cooking with one of the pizza ovens

the rep said these are great at heating stone walls and we do have too many of those

further, I discussed EcoDesign 2022 with the rep a bit and she said that edict has gov't wanting the Sims to burn less...which these masonry stoves apparently support

so, using less wood for more efficient heat...seems like a no brainer for us

These are large and heavy masonry stoves. Operating them is akin to running a giant flywheel. They release heat slowly and are not great for quick warmups or cooldowns. They need a hot fire to get them up to temp then cruise, slowly releasing the stored heat energy. Typically this is done twice a day morning and night. The downside is when the day starts out gloomy and cold, but then the sun come out, warming everything up, but the fireplace is still releasing heat. Or when one comes back from vacation to a cold house, it may take a day or two to warm it back up. And, they are expensive. I am dubious about the pizza oven option. Baking yes, but pizza ovens are best when quite hot inside (700ºF) and not with the slow steady heat of a masonry stove.

I a big old stone barn I think I would want a good, large wood stove for general heating and a wood cook stove in the kitchen. That provides more flexibility and the steady warmth in the kitchen plus the infinite heat of the wood stove cooktop is hard to beat.