Tulip.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not great, but I will take it!

would you pay for it if it were 1/4 the going price of a cord?

2/3 btu for 1/4 the cost? If you are paying, doesn't seem bad. (actually, I don't remember exact btu for tulip, but point still stands)

Heem said:
Thoughts on tulip?

We have 2.4 cord ready for the shoulder season this year (cut from our land) hopefully we will be happy with it.

zap

Danno77 said:
2/3 btu for 1/4 the cost? If you are paying, doesn't seem bad. (actually, I don't remember exact btu for tulip, but point still stands)
Yep. Poplar 18M BTU, Red Oak 24. Good starter, shoulder wood. Supposed to dry fast.

Heem said:
would you pay for it if it were 1/4 the going price of a cord?

yes!

I burned a cord of it last winter. Good stuff for shoulder season. Lights off quick like pine but lasts longer.

Wet and heavy when cut. And light when dry. But I heated this place for a whole winter years ago with it and would do it again. In fact I probably will. I have some that if I don't take'em down at a hundred plus feet are going to break off soon.

Ash is fluffy and pretty much non existent with the stuff.

Heem said:
Thoughts on tulip?

I think they are beautiful and the blossom every spring. Michigan even has a festival in a city by the name of Holland. Whoops. Wrong tulip...

I know of two older gents who swear by it. One just loves burning it. To me it has its benifits.

My property it littered with thm, all mature. My question is what and why do they pump out this sappy like spray? It covers the cars etc. If you stand under it it feeld like a misty rain. The "sap" comes off with just water but why do they do this?

Stump_Branch said:
I know of two older gents who swear by it. One just loves burning it. To me it has its benifits.

My property it littered with thm, all mature. My question is what and why do they pump out this sappy like spray? It covers the cars etc. If you stand under it it feeld like a misty rain. The "sap" comes off with just water but why do they do this?

I had always understood this to be from insect infestation. They basically crap out sap and it gets all over everything.

Backwoods Savage said:
Heem said:
Thoughts on tulip?

I think they are beautiful and the blossom every spring. Michigan even has a festival in a city by the name of Holland. Whoops. Wrong tulip...

It's scary how we think alike sometimes . . . I was going to post that I have some yellow ones that come up every Spring that are quite nice to look at.

Tulips look great in the garden, tulip trees look great in the stove ;-)

lukem said:
Stump_Branch said:

I had always understood this to be from insect infestation. They basically crap out sap and it gets all over everything.

I agree. Our tulip-poplar's don't drip sap where I'm at. Sounds like an insect problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.