Tundra ordered, 5 year plan set in motion!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke Signals

Burning Hunk
Dec 19, 2013
Central illinois
So I set my 5 year plan in motion today and ordered a Tundra at Menards while they are still on sale. The plan ends with a Kuuma chugging away in my basement. Next step will be to install a SS liner in the masonry chimney. Any recommendations on a liner? I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks, Levi

edit: This is a continuation of this thread

Last edited:
Here is the Johnson Energy Systems smoke dragon that the Tundra will be replacing.

P0002_210215.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased my Tundra and it is sitting in my garage waiting for warmer weather for my install. Good luck with your install. Be sure to post questions and success that you have. Not that I will be of any help but many of smart knowledgeable people here to help out..

You don't have 5 years of wood c/s/s ???

No kidding. :)

I'm thankful for all the 3-year plan preachers on here that have motivated me. I've got 18-19 cord c/s/s in the last 12 months, but burned 5 of it this winter, so I figure I'm a good 2+ years ahead at the moment. But hitting 3 years will feel very nice.

Sorry, back to original topic.

Congrats!

From your title I initially thought I was going to feel guilty that I don't have 5 years of wood c/s/s.

Well I'm not quite 5 year out on wood just yet bu I do have the next 2 years c/s/s and year 3 cut and home, it will be split and stacked soon.

Just purchased my Tundra and it is sitting in my garage waiting for warmer weather for my install. Good luck with your install. Be sure to post questions and success that you have. Not that I will be of any help but many of smart knowledgeable people here to help out..

I will finish out the winter with the old furnace and install the Tundra over the summer. I will be sure to document my progress here. Good luck on your install as well. Let us know how it goes.

Any recommendations on a liner?
I personally would shop around and buy whatever you find that you like. I have come to the conclusion that there is less difference from liner to liner than people make out. They all hafta meet the same regs. I spent the big bucks on a 2 ply liner from CLD, come to find out they are overpriced POS. Called back a year or 2 later and they wanted to screw me around on the price of a second liner for another chimney. They lost me as a customer. I bought a preinsulated one from a vendor that used to be a member here, it was an AMAZING deal but sadly he is not on here anymore and has sold his business. Too bad because I loved the service/liner/price! I would do a "google" search for chimney liner, see what all comes up. I seen some decent stuff on ebay, actually sold by some mainline liner vendors, just under a different name.
FYI, don't be sidetracked by the lifetime warrantys, read the fine print, they are almost worthless, you will never need to use it anyways.
Any one have anything good or bad to say about the ones they sell at Menards?
Never heard of anyone specifically but I bet you could get a pretty good deal on their 11% sale...

I have come to the conclusion that there is less difference from liner to liner than people make out. They all hafta meet the same regs..

I don't know about their chimney liners, but I know ICC Excel's chimney is Canadian spec, which is 3 times more stringent than US spec.

• EXCEL is tested and listed to the ULC S-629 chimney standard. The ULC standard is generally considered the toughest residential chimney standard in the world. The USA standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10-minute 2100°F chimney fires. The Canadian standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30-minute chimney fires, three times longer than the USA.
  • EXCEL is the only 1 inch wall insulated chimney to pass the ULC standard.
  • EXCEL’s unique thermoplus insulation has an extremely high insulating value that helps to keep flue gasses hot. Creosote won’t condense in a hot flue.
  • EXCEL is the lightest weight insulated chimney of its kind on the market. This low thermal mass enables it to heat up quickly, reducing creosote formation. And EXCEL’s light weight helps make it the easiest chimney to install.
  • EXCEL incorporates continuous blanket insulation into a design which eliminates couplings between lenghts. This means there are no hot spots on the outside, or cool spots on the inside.

I don't know about their chimney liners, but I know ICC Excel's chimney is Canadian spec, which is 3 times more stringent than US spec.
I guess I meant USA regs.
Well, I could be wrong here, but I think most chimney fires are about done in 10 minutes anyways...hot n quick.
The one liner that comes to mind if someone had to have a extra heavy duty liner, is the new HD liner from CLD. Put 1/2" insulation kit on it and as long as it is going in a chimney that is not totally junk, you are golden...IMO. 'Course I'd say they same thing of a non HD SS flex liner too

Status
Not open for further replies.