Tune up for a borrowed splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realstone

Lord of Fire
I've been using my neighbor's FIL's splitter for just short of 3 bush cords. I know that if a neighbor of my son in law had borrowed my splitter, I'd be a little concerned, so I want to put him at ease and also say thanks by returning the splitter in as good a shape as I can. I'm going to change the oil & plug, & top up the gas. But beyond that I don't a great grasp on what to do. Suggestions?

I've been using my neighbor's FIL's splitter for just short of 3 bush cords. I know that if a neighbor of my son in law had borrowed my splitter, I'd be a little concerned, so I want to put him at ease and also say thanks by returning the splitter in as good a shape as I can. I'm going to change the oil & plug, & top up the gas. But beyond that I don't a great grasp on what to do. Suggestions?

Maybe I'm just anal about my equipment, but I would not want anyone "tuning up" or changing oil - especially if you are not sure about proper maintenance with that specific piece of equipment. Standard "rule of thumb" around here is that any borrowed equipment is always returned with a full tank of gas and bring it back cleaner than you received it.... at least that's what I have always done.

If you really want to say "thanks", pick up a case of his favorite beer or a good bottle of bourbon... :)

I'm happy when someone returns the splitter with a full tank of gas. That is all I ask. Well, actually I never ask it but if I borrow, that is how I return.

Maybe I'm just anal about my equipment, but I would not want anyone "tuning up" or changing oil - especially if you are not sure about proper maintenance with that specific piece of equipment. Standard "rule of thumb" around here is that any borrowed equipment is always returned with a full tank of gas and bring it back cleaner than you received it.... at least that's what I have always done.

If you really want to say "thanks", pick up a case of his favorite beer or a good bottle of bourbon... :)

I dont want anyone working on my stuff either...

But to buy a maintenance kit (normally comes with quart of oil, air filter, and plug) for that model engine, wouldnt bother me.
Along with being topped off with fuel ;)

But I would want to do the maintenance myself..

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
I agree with not doing any work on it. How ever it would be nice to return it with a $20 gift cart to tractor supply or the like, for fluids and such.

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Cold beer, gift card, full tank, and clean are all good ideas. Keep your tools in your box. For instance...Maybe he has cross threaded or stripped the drain plug and you screwing with it will make him think that YOU did it. Let him deal with it.

Clean it up better than when you got it, top off the tank. If you want to go above and beyond bring him some wood for an extra thank-you. I wouldn't want someone wrenching on my equipment.

I agree with topping off the gas, cleaning up the splitter and a gift card. It more than shows your appreciation to him. Wrenching on his equipment ......not so much.

Reactions: Realstone
Funny, I didn't receive any alerts for this thread. Oh well.
I like the consensus here. I'm going to go with what's suggested here, but I am sore tempted to change the oil, based on its colour. But I'll refrain.
Clean it up better than when you got it, top off the tank. If you want to go above and beyond bring him some wood for an extra thank-you. I wouldn't want someone wrenching on my equipment.
The wood's a good idea, but he only uses it for the cottage, so a gift card it is.

Reactions: ScotO

Funny...I'm in a similar situation. My neighbor's splitter is sitting out beside my house with a missing recoil pull start assembly. I used it for 30 min and the thing came flying off! Seems like the bolts had worked themselves loose and I didn't notice it until it came off. After that, I noticed that there were several other issues with the thing (motor mounting bolts were missing nuts, hydraulic leak, tire has gone flat). No wonder he was willing to let me borrow it o_O

$29.99 visit to eBay and we're back in business (with tightened bolts), but I think replacing the tires might be a little much. I will return it with a full tank of gas though.

Tough situation when the machine breaks in your care. I don't borrow often but when I do, if there are obvious issues that will grow into headaches, then I usually take care of them so long as there are no major expenses involved. I haven't got a complaint yet. ;)

Tough situation when the machine breaks in your care. I don't borrow often but when I do, if there are obvious issues that will grow into headaches, then I usually take care of them so long as there are no major expenses involved. I haven't got a complaint yet. ;)

Yep, I've been in that situation - which prompted me fairly quick to buy my own splitter. Pull string broke, bolts for the wedge broke, motor mount bolts loose or missing, engine cover tabs broke off....seriously, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items. I did fix most of those things, but I'm thinking the other neighbors who use it are a tad rough on it...

Anyways, not an issue anymore. I really hate borrowing equipment...

Yep, I've been in that situation - which prompted me fairly quick to buy my own splitter. Pull string broke, bolts for the wedge broke, motor mount bolts loose or missing, engine cover tabs broke off....seriously, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items. I did fix most of those things, but I'm thinking the other neighbors who use it are a tad rough on it...

Anyways, not an issue anymore. I really hate borrowing equipment...
I plan to save up my rounds, rent a splitter and put in a full day & get my moneys worth.

I agree. Unless I know the person real well, i usually don't borrow. But in this case I was splitting wood I had scrounged for both my neighbor and myself, so I made an exception.

That you are concerned to some how says thanks, just show some class :)
Maybe make the offer to change it before it's returned.
Full of gas if it's used allot is a good idea. but if it's gonna sit a year, better to return it empty, & let them know you did & why.
Talk to your neighbor & ask. Sounds like you see each other frequently & get along.
Communication & the offer shows your appreciation.
I agree on clean it real well. ( a kit with the right spark plug & new oil attached in a bag ;) )
Like you, when I see the oil needs changed, it makes me want to do it, but asking if it's OK is a good policy.
"Borrowed stuff gets returned in better shape than what it's borrowed in" is a good policy.
You're a good neighbor!

Never wrench another mans equipment :p

I know I'm rather picky about what materials I use to service my equipment so changing the oil for me wouldn't really be doing me a favor even though I would appreciate the gesture.

I like the thinking behind Dave's suggestion to return it empty but I'd top off the tank anyways, shut off the fuel and drain/run the carb dry.

I know I'm rather picky about what materials I use to service my equipment so changing the oil for me wouldn't really be doing me a favor even though I would appreciate the gesture.

I like the thinking behind Dave's suggestion to return it empty but I'd top off the tank anyways, shut off the fuel and drain/run the carb dry.
On that note, would you say that synthetic oil is always acceptable to those who are picky with what they put in the oil pan? That's what I was going to include on the side when I return the unit.

Oil is a picky thing. I suggested the Maintenance kit above. It includes a spark plug, air filter, a Quart of oil (he may use it/ he may not), and sometimes a fuel filter (if applicable / some engines its a fuel filter and oil filter/ depends on model amd size of engine, as to what maintenance kit contains).

Buying someone oil is tricky. I personally wouldn't delve into that one. I run synthetics, Yes. But not all the same. My Mower gets Amsoil, everything else gets Royal Purple.

Oil is a very particular area to some........

He trusted you enough to take it. So not much needs done in return. Other than in slightly better condition than when it was taken. Everything else is a bonus. But going the extra mile, can sometimes be just that (to far). A gift card or a case of his favorite beverage would be much appreciated (by myself anyways).

Never wrench another mans equipment :p

Agreed, but...

Funny...I'm in a similar situation. My neighbor's splitter is sitting out beside my house with a missing recoil pull start assembly. I used it for 30 min and the thing came flying off! Seems like the bolts had worked themselves loose and I didn't notice it until it came off. After that, I noticed that there were several other issues with the thing (motor mounting bolts were missing nuts, hydraulic leak, tire has gone flat). No wonder he was willing to let me borrow it o_O

... the guy who loans out a splitter in that kind of condition is not the type who's going to worry about you doing some maintenance on it for him.

On that note, would you say that synthetic oil is always acceptable to those who are picky with what they put in the oil pan? That's what I was going to include on the side when I return the unit.

Actually, that's just it, some people arre dead set against using synthetics in OPE thinking that it's somehow going to hurt it, other side of that is some people are maniacs buying $9.00 a quart oil to run in their mowers (cough cough, I wouldn't know anybody like that.... ;em) So unless you know him well or know he doesn't care, that's why I say stick to the cleaning and fuel.

Reactions: DexterDay
When I borrow equipment (and it's rare) . . . it gets returned clean and gassed up . . . and depending on what it was and how long I used it there may be a gift card or beer to go with it.

When others borrow my equipment I'm happy if they return it unbroken and within a reasonable amount of time.

Returned it yesterday afternoon, all clean and sparkly, a full tank of gas (sorry Mellow, good idea though) and a litre of synthetic 10W30 on the side. My neighbor tells me he was quite impressed, especially about how clean it was.

Gold advice everybody, thanks. :thumbsupsmileyface

Status
Not open for further replies.