Turbo Torch regulator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all--

I realize that this is a "gear" type of question, but I am guessing that Hearth's population of torch-owning folks are probably concentrated here in the Boiler Room.

I have a "TurboTorch" STK type unit that attaches directly to disposable propane or MAPP cylinders. The regulator goes right on the cylinder.

On the whole, I have been very happy with the unit, which I've had for almost 20 years.

Once, about 15 years ago, the regulator suddenly quit- I sent it back in the manufacturer, and they said that an elastomer " spring " had lost its resiliency- replaced it, and sent me a bill.

Today it started doing exactly the same thing- no gas flowing, no matter how I turn the knob.

Does anyone know if this is something for which I can get the part and do a DIY repair (and then keep a spare elastomer around?)

Thanks

Don't know for sure but some hardware stores have nylon and other springs maybe a brass one would do?

you sure it's not a plugged orfice. Doesn't take much of a speck of crud to plug them. Usually a soaking in WD-40 and an air hose will clear them. If this is the problem.

I called TurboTorch for parts a few years back. They said liability issues prevent them from selling repair parts, not knowing who, or how the parts would be installed. Replace the torch was their response. So I did, with a Goss brand :)

hr

Thanks, all- I happily discovered that it was a matter of a tank that was empty (yes, I felt _very_ dumb!!! -- although glad to find out that that's all that it was )

Funny thing is that it had lit up OK the last time I used it, just last weekend-- with the same tank; must be that there'd been just enough vapor in the tank to keep going to the point that I last turned it off, but not enough to fire off a good new burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.