Turbulator Performance Test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

What will be the flue temp w/o turbulators

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - Final results are in - 54.4 degrees.

I chose the same period from both fires - starting when the combustion temperature reached 1200, and continuing until it finally dropped below 1200.

The two fires aren't identical, but they're pretty similar. Here's the numbers:

Average combustion temperature, with turbulators: 1202.2
Average flue temperature, with turbulators: 494.6

Average combustion temperature, w/o turbulators: 1200.5
Average flue temperature, w/o turbulators: 549.0

Difference: 54.4

turb-noturb.png

Nofossil, as one of the four winners I thank you for the prize of "Lifelong honor and respect, if not outright adulation! " It's not a leg lamp, but certainly qualifies as a "major award" and right before Christmas. Ralphie's Dad's got nothing on us.

By the way Maple1 ,the flue temps on my Solo Innova are exactly the same as Jebatty describes for his Tarm. I think I briefly hit 500 degrees once last week. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.

Mike

Nofossil, as one of the four winners I thank you for the prize of "Lifelong honor and respect, if not outright adulation! " It's not a leg lamp, but certainly qualifies as a "major award" and right before Christmas. Ralphie's Dad's got nothing on us.

By the way Maple1 ,the flue temps on my Solo Innova are exactly the same as Jebatty describes for his Tarm. I think I briefly hit 500 degrees once last week. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.

Mike

Mine is a different beast, being natural draft. But my turbulated temps are also quite similar - usually at or a bit above 250c. My burns are quite variable though, depending on what it's doing outside. I think that is a bit below what is recommended (for mine) - I think maximum overall efficiency is said to be at the 300c range. The natural draft changes things up in the burn efficiency area.

Was your boiler water in temp the same at the start of each burn NoFo?
It was pretty close, and there's closed loop control of both inlet temp and outlet temp during the burn, so they're as equal as I can reasonably make them.

I use a PID function in my Vesta to modulate the bypass circulator to try and keep inlet temp between 140 and 145. Later in the burn as storage starts heating up, the inlet temp will start to rise. Still, pretty much the same in both cases.

Thanks everyone for the discussion and offers of help in this experiment, and congratulations to our winners:
"Lifelong honor and respect, if not outright adulation" isn't going to help pay the bills, but it's nothing to sneeze at, either.

I'll start a new thread for the chain tests. At present, I only have chains that are likely a bit smaller than ideal. I won't need another fire until tomorrow, and I'll pick through the neighborhood junk piles investigate local resources between now and then.

I just cleaned out my fire tubes and started a fire without the chain turbs in .. im about about 45 mins into a burn and im seeing 550f temps.. Ill see if I can get a screen shot also.. No combustion sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.