Turkey Day Morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
I just had to get out this morning to cut some wood. It was a beautiful morning, and I had the day off. I set the alarm clock for earlier than I normally would (I'm a bit of a night owl) and got out to the woods shortly after sunrise. Right as I unloaded my gear, my stomach starts killing me. I ended up suffering through it for an hour. It severely hindered my progress. I did load some more of the random chunks of oak that were felled to clear out the plot that I missed when I had the grapple skid steer attachment. I also C/S/S'd a couple 8' long, ~6" wide oaks that were in the pile.

I'm determined to temporarily make the oak stack bigger than the poplar. It won't last long, but I'm going to do it...

2012-11-22_08-35-58_88 (Small).jpg

A few more random oak pieces left. Then it is almost all poplar :(
2012-11-22_08-36-37_703 (Small).jpg

Note to self: keep TP in the truck, along with Tums.

Note to self: keep TP in the truck, along with Tums.

Only once did the lady ask me why I was missing a shirt sleeve as I came into the house. Since then, she has learned she doesn't want to know why or how I'm running low on handkerchiefs, come home with only one sock on, etc ==c

pen

didn't cut tksgiving morn, had to walk the dogs in the forest though...you know...

Only once did the lady ask me why I was missing a shirt sleeve as I came into the house. Since then, she has learned she doesn't want to know why or how I'm running low on handkerchiefs, come home with only one sock on, etc ==c

pen
I used to be fine staving off the "Number two" when out hunting until I got home. Well, as you get older it's not that easy to do. Now every time my feet hit the crunchy leaves in the woods during hunting season, I gotta go...

I was coming home from my hunting trips missing a sock almost every outing, until I started carrying TP in the woods with me.
TP is a lifesaver in the woods........

Shane, that is a beautiful Australian cattledog you have there. My buddy has one, and MAN is that ever a loyal dog. It goes with him literally EVERYWHERE, and it'll fight to the death to protect my buddy.

I used to be fine staving off the "Number two" when out hunting until I got home. Well, as you get older it's not that easy to do. Now every time my feet hit the crunchy leaves in the woods during hunting season, I gotta go...

I was coming home from my hunting trips missing a sock almost every outing, until I started carrying TP in the woods with me.
TP is a lifesaver in the woods........

As someone who's spent lots of time on construction sites with kybo's in all temps & weather conditions over the years,I offer 1 valuable piece of advice - Always check to see there's TP in there before sitting down.

No fun going with just 1 sock for the next 7-9 hours,especially if its below 30 degrees outside.;lol

Shane, that is a beautiful Australian cattledog you have there. My buddy has one, and MAN is that ever a loyal dog. It goes with him literally EVERYWHERE, and it'll fight to the death to protect my buddy.

Thanks. His name is Tonka (son named him). He goes out in the woods with me every time. We call him our velcro dog. Always stuck to our sides.

Success!

I typically work on the day after Thanksgiving, but I decided to take a partial day today. I went out for another hour. This time was much more successful. I grabbed some more oak that was piled up from the people who put in the driveway and threw it in the back of my truck while driving in.

2012-11-23_13-15-31_309 (Small).jpg
(sorry, the sun was in the background)

A lot of this stuff was pretty gnarly, but thankfully they mostly took one or two whacks with the x27 to split.
2012-11-23_13-50-39_962 (Small).jpg

Everything in the truck is now C/S/S'd.
2012-11-23_13-54-59_549 (Small).jpg

Project manager approves:
2012-11-23_14-07-13_756 (Small).jpg

And it looks like my oak pile is (temporarily) larger than my poplar pile. Oh, happy day.

Keep on cutting and stacking! Things are looking up.

I'm betting everyone who has worked in the outdoors knows what to carry with him and why.

Reactions: ScotO and Shane N
We call him our velcro dog. Always stuck to our sides
I had a dog like that, three legged boy named Skipper, didn't have to leash him, he died a couple of years ago unexpectedly, only 7 yrs old...it still tears me up...there is nothing like a good dog, nothing....

Attachments

• DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC00070.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: ScotO and keninmich
Stack is bigger than a few days ago.
Keep it coming. (pictures also help the pile grow ;) )

Looks like you are beginning to have some winter weather (The "S" word) :)

I went out and splitt some of the stuff I alredy had cut. I'm trying to everything I have Splitt and stacked in a new location, out from under the trees, before it gets frozen.

There's always a roll of TP in my truck . . . other items may come and go depending on what I am doing, time of year or where I am going . . . but the TP is always a constant.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.