Turkey Fryers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnlincourt

Dec 31, 2009
Western MA
I just came across an old topic talking about turkey fryers from 08’ and wanted to know if anyone had updates on their experiences.
My buddy and I (raiderfan) fryed 2 turkeys for X-mas and although the 1st one was over cooked we redused the cooking time for the second one and it was perfect. We also filtered the oil to get more uses out of it. One bit of advice- make sure the oil isn’t cold when trying to strain- it will turn into a 45 minute job for something that should take 5!
Also- we are frying a pork roast this weekend and saw in that older thread someone else had done that. Anyone have good experience with this?

A friend of mine just switched to cottonseed oil and prefers it over peanut oil. Anyone else? I'm very interested in the pork roast also.

I've been watching this one & waiting for somebody to dive in.
I've had my fryer for about 10 years & probably done about
50 birds & breasts - with various substances (marinades, etc)
injected into em, but I've never tried a pork roast, either.
Chicken wings, fries, 'shrooms, Lobstah, even dough, but no pork.
I use canola oil, cuz Sam's Club sells industrial sizes for a good price.
My daughter is severely allergic to nuts & nut by-products, so I avoid
peanut oil...

A pork roast is great deep fried but one thing is to make sure it is dry (no water or marinade dripping) and slowly slip it into the oil. cooking time depends on size of roast. I have also done a deer roast and let me tell you it was greeeeeeeeat. I just slip it in with just the meat and it tastes great for sure. I think it was 5 mins per pound?

Going to have to try the deer roast!
I think we are just going to have to watch the meat temp closely because we have recipes that have it all the way up to 8 mins per lb. I don't think it will be close to that but we will see. As a back up I'll be frying a bunch of wings so if the roast sucks..... I'll let you know how it comes out!

EatenByLimestone said:
Could the fryer be used in the summer for a clam or crawfish boil? (without the oil)

Matt

Oh, yes! Low Country Boil with shrimp, new potatoes, sausage, onions, half ears of corn, etc. Very tasty and a fine tailgate, too.

And why would you take a perfectly good turkey and fry it? BBQ baby, low and slow, nothing better! Now the pork roast is another story, as well as the seafood comments above, yummy!

GotzTheHotz said:
And why would you take a perfectly good turkey and fry it? BBQ baby, low and slow, nothing better! Now the pork roast is another story, as well as the seafood comments above, yummy!

Don't knock it til you've tried it.
Inject a 15 pound bird with some Jack Daniels or Honey Teriyaki marinade & let er rip.
45 minutes in the 325-350 degree oil & you've got a moist, tender bird with a crispy crust
& a WHOLE bunch of flavor!
Ooo weee baybee!

DAKSY said:
GotzTheHotz said:

Don't knock it til you've tried it.
Inject a 15 pound bird with some Jack Daniels or Honey Teriyaki marinade & let er rip.
45 minutes in the 325-350 degree oil & you've got a moist, tender bird with a crispy crust
& a WHOLE bunch of flavor!
Ooo weee baybee!

HELL YEAH!! The first one we made you could have thrown through a plaster wall, but the second one was damn near perfect!!

I've done a bunch of turkeys over the years, and every one of them has been great... I generally use peanut oil, or one of the blends specifically labeled for frying - one of the problems with rapeseed oil (aka Canola) and other veggie oils is that they have flash-points that are very close to the desired cooking temperature of around 350°F. Peanut oil has a much higher ignition temp, so it's a lot safer if one overdoes it a bit...

I tried doing a small pork roast at Thanksgiving last year, in addition to the bird, and it came out very nice - will probably do a larger one next year instead of the turkey (We do a big crowd @ the GF's brother's house, so in addition to the fried turkey, her SIL does a big oven turkey - I figure it will give more variety to do different meats, and might even try some other stuff as well...

I have also used the burner for a few other things - pretty much any sort of cooking or other project where you either want it outside, or need more heat / room than the stove can give... No reason you can't use it for any kind of cooking you like, either with the turkey pot, or some other appropriate sized vessel...

Gooserider

Panhandler said:
A friend of mine just switched to cottonseed oil and prefers it over peanut oil. Anyone else? I'm very interested in the pork roast also.

We are going to try and post some pics of this sucker today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.