Turman - good, bad and downright ugly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rparker

Feeling the Heat
Jul 17, 2011
Vermont
Got up this morning to a cold stove. Pellets had bridged over the feed chute. Relieved the bridge and started her up. While looking in the hopper I see a variety of pellets.
The attached photo shows the range and color variation.
These are Turman pellets which are usually quite consistent. Also much less heat from these.
Going to go to dealer today and discuss.
Anyone else have this issue or is this pretty normal?

Attachments

• turmans.jpg
    turmans.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 293
My Turmans vary in size the same as yours, I also have some of those black ones as well. They are still the best pellets I have burned yet. I will continue to get them. Seems there is always something with any pellet brand you buy.

I bought a couple bags of Turman from Cozy Barn and they are hands down the hottest and least amount of ash pellet I've burned....I do have some blackened pellets in my bags too......a few long pellets but nothing crazy.....

This was from the last batch I picked up. Don't have a place to store so I get them weekly - 8-10 bags at a time. Up until now, they have been great. Just wondering if the first bags I burned were abnormally good or if these last bags are abnormally bad.

The blackened ones are from the pelleting process. No biggie, Its caused by hot dies and some will get scorched. Doesn't effect the burning of them. First time I heard of long pellets from Turmans. They usually are less than an inch long. PFI spec says up to 1 1/2 inches. So they are still in spec. But long ones do effect heat some as you don't get as much volume to the burnpot with them. Very surprised to see that from them.

Send you concerns to Turman, They are very good at correcting things.

Thanks for the info. Thought that the black ones were from "bad" stuff in the mix. Just sliced one and they appear to be the same as the others inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.