Turman pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
Anybody burning these i can get them local now. don't want to cut into my okies just yet but my cubex really suck and waiting for a replacement.

so what do Turman compare to and how do u like them?

Fish On said:
Anybody burning these i can get them local now. don't want to cut into my okies just yet but my cubex really suck and waiting for a replacement.

so what do trumans compare to and how do u like them?

The proper name is TURMAN......

The TURMANS pellets are VERY good. However, seeing that you're having problems with Cubex (which I think are THE best hardwood pellets going), I wonder if you'll have any issues with the Turmans.

Cubex have been awesome for me for the last 2 years, but the last ton was awful. my dealer says he is having problem's with them to.

there so dirty I cant believe it and the heat sucks.

Turmans have my vote for being one of the most consistent. Definetly the top shelf stuff. Might be hard to get as the supplies are limited from what I hear.

Wish you where closer, I'd like to test them cubex's to see whats up.

Fish On said:

I tested them against Barefoot (another hardwood) and Okies and the 2 hardwood pellets were clearly hotter in my tests in my stove. Your mileage may vary.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82874/P44/#1035905

I found the Turmans dusty (but not as dusty as the Okies) but wouldn't be afraid of getting them. You might even like them better than the Okies everyone is all crazy about.

Been doing a lot of testing on what is available in my area and Turmans have become my pellet of choice. Not a lot of ash, NO clinkers, good heat. Even like them better than the Vermonts.
Granted this is my first year and still working things out but very happy with the Turmans.

I have burned Barefoots, Okies, Newp, Vermont, Dry Creek when they were good, Hamer, and Turman. My favorite are the Turmans. Never burned Cubex, but sounds like they might have had a little issue this year. I have burned Turmans for 3 years and I find them very consistent.

my stove just loves turman pellets...

I'm now burning Turmans. Only have had my Harman since Oct. I did 2 tons of NEWP & wasn't impressed. Now on my Turmans I seem to be getting what I think must be clinkers. I took a photo ill try to post it. Let me know what you all think. Ok I can't find how to attach a photo.

I bought 4 tons of Turman this yr . I paid 250 dollars a ton delivered. I must say burning now in my 4th season these by far are the cleanest hottest pellet to date. I have burned in the past. Oakies, hammer, barefoot, green team, lignetics, stove chow, cleanfire ,andes, and probably 5 others I cant remember. Turman are clean the ash pan after burning 24/7 I empty on the 7th day and is just about 1/2 full. I am burning these in a Harman accentra insert. Yes I see every bag with longer and shorter pellets but my stove eats them up. I bought cleanfires for the shoulder season and they are great very clean but nothing like the Turman. I was a 4-5 ton customer a yr to pellet sales.com till they misguided last year. I buy there Andes top of the line paid a premium because they advertised 8400 btus. Well I get them delivered and 2 weeks later they change the BTU on the website to 7900. I called and they said they have to post the most current testing. I argued I only bought them because of the BTU rating and that was bait and switch. Well after some lengthy calls and bitching they didnt even as much as offered a dime in credit towards my next purchase. Not only that I told them 9 of the bags were ripped open and 4 were wet. Nothing at all was offered. So I went back to my local dealer pulled about 10 locals together told him get a quality pellet and we in combination will purchase 45-50 tons. He got a load of Turman sold them for 250 delivered and since has turned his pellet sales around. So all in all Turman for me anyway the best I have used for my 4 short years of burning.

Fish On said:

i scored my cubex in late december 2011, and they are a dusty mess.. really dissapointed as i consider a skid of cubex to be my winter "treat."
i think ill buzz my dealer, i grabbed them from a local pellet only house (they take great care of their inventory and awesome care of their customers!)

ray

PoolGuyinCT said:
Fish On said:

i scored my cubex in late december 2011, and they are a dusty mess.. really dissapointed as i consider a skid of cubex to be my winter "treat."
i think ill buzz my dealer, i grabbed them from a local pellet only house (they take great care of their inventory and awesome care of their customers!)

ray

As I've mentioned in other posts, the Cubex I recently bought are extremely dissappointing and burn very dirty. Ironically, the dealer's website states that they are the #1 rated hardwood pellet for 2011.

investor7952 said:
I bought 4 tons of Turman this yr . I paid 250 dollars a ton delivered. I must say burning now in my 4th season these by far are the cleanest hottest pellet to date. I have burned in the past. Oakies, hammer, barefoot, green team, lignetics, stove chow, cleanfire ,andes, and probably 5 others I cant remember. Turman are clean the ash pan after burning 24/7 I empty on the 7th day and is just about 1/2 full. I am burning these in a Harman accentra insert. Yes I see every bag with longer and shorter pellets but my stove eats them up. I bought cleanfires for the shoulder season and they are great very clean but nothing like the Turman. I was a 4-5 ton customer a yr to pellet sales.com till they misguided last year. I buy there Andes top of the line paid a premium because they advertised 8400 btus. Well I get them delivered and 2 weeks later they change the BTU on the website to 7900. I called and they said they have to post the most current testing. I argued I only bought them because of the BTU rating and that was bait and switch. Well after some lengthy calls and bitching they didnt even as much as offered a dime in credit towards my next purchase. Not only that I told them 9 of the bags were ripped open and 4 were wet. Nothing at all was offered. So I went back to my local dealer pulled about 10 locals together told him get a quality pellet and we in combination will purchase 45-50 tons. He got a load of Turman sold them for 250 delivered and since has turned his pellet sales around. So all in all Turman for me anyway the best I have used for my 4 short years of burning.

I know with all the hype of the Oakies I went out and paid 300 for 1 ton last year. THEY SUCKED. Thats why like most here say what works for you may not for others. The oakies were dirty not anymore heat than the cleanfires. For me wasnt worth it. Now next yr my Turmans may suck who knows.

Turmans are one of the best pellets.The way it was explained to me was,The saw dust is from flooring companies only.It's 100% hard wood.There is nothing mixed in like a lot of the other companies do.Has anyone else heard this?

WOODNUT358 said:
Turmans are one of the best pellets.The way it was explained to me was,The saw dust is from flooring companies only.It's 100% hard wood.There is nothing mixed in like a lot of the other companies do.Has anyone else heard this?

There's a few out there that can make that claim. In house fiber is whats key. They know exactly whats in the mix. They have total control of the saw dust and planner chips. Most of the companies that make flooring have this. Many softwoods also get there fiber from the mills making 2X4's. Pretty much the same stuff day in day out. So you get nice consistent pellets from batch to batch.

Pellets made by companies that except fiber from the open market "may" get some iffy stuff dumped in the mix. This will cause batch variation and multiple issues.

investor7952 said:

where did you get the turmans i may need to take a trip do you have the #

I have been burning Turmans for about a week. I have used AWF pellets for almost 3 years and have tried a few bags of Potomacs, the AWF do real good for me but the Turmans are the hotest and cleanest burning in my Whitfield.

I have been using Greene Team and received 2 tons of Turmans last week. They burn hotter with much less ash than Greene Team. Turmans are a very good pellet and I hope to stock up with them next season. They are however a lot more expensive near me compared to the big box brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.