turn insert into free standing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimml

Aug 22, 2009
bigcity otis orchards wa
I have been looking for a pellet stove for my garage and I found a whitfield advantage wp-2 insert and a prodigy freestanding for free. I tried to fix the free standing prodigy but too much was wrong, missing the convection/combustion fan and the exhaust booster blower doesnt work. I have found an older advantage free standing stove for a reasonable price and want to put the newer model insert on the stand and put the free standing exterior metal on it.
The insert has the newer wrap around glass, newer touch pad control board. I have also heard of the heat exchange tubes burning through so I thought the newer stove body to be the best bet, plus I wouldn't have to refit the door. The older stove is missing 2 pieces of glass, the heat exchange scraper hits the side and wont move all the way out and the exhaust fan runs at one speed no matter what level the heat setting.

My question is, am I about to put pieces together that wont fit? The pellet bin on the newer insert is cut down lower than the freestanding unit.
Also can I connect the exhaust vent directly to a masonary chimney that is in good condition. The masonary chimney has a horizontal thimble pipe through the wall of 9 to 12"

I have read many posts and appreciate all the time you all spend giving out information. I have never had a pellet stove before and there is much information here on what to look for in maintaining the stove and its safety. Thanks Again

any advice on a prodigy paperweight/endtable

Status
Not open for further replies.