Turn off the blower during reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixminus1

Jan 11, 2008
Coastal NJ
I just made the mistake of keeping the blowers on during a reload. I started smelling smoke after about 15 min, and the CO detector went off. I opened some windows and got ready to pull flaming splits out of the insert to completely shut everything down. Then I noticed a few sparks flying out of the blower outlet. Some inspection revealed a few cinders that managed to get caught up in the blower system. I pulled them out, and put the CO detector right in front of the insert. No more alarms.

My theory is that some hot cinders flew out of the firebox during the reload and got pulled into the blower intake.

Shut off your blowers until the area in front of the insert is clean! This was an unwelcome false-alarm, and it's likely going to keep me awake for the rest of the night.

And don't forget to open the draft for a couple minutes before opening the fire door to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.