Turnaround time for VC stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NewGuy132

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Central MA
Story time...

So back in March I went to the stove store and ordered a VC Intrepid Flexburn. They came out to install it a couple weeks ago and couldn't get the liner down. They rescheduled to come back out yesterday to break up the clay liner. Yesterday they managed to get the flex liner down without having to break up the clay. They got the stove in to the house and the enamel coating was all cracked (I wasn't here but my wife said that they claimed damage in shipping). They are going to order a replacement. Just wondering from any dealers out there what is the average turnaround for something like this? It took 4 months to get in originally due to COVID/regular backups. Not that there is anything I can do about it but it would be nice to not have to wait another 4 months.

TLDR: Stove came in with cracked enamel. Wondering how long a replacement will take.

I would get ahold of vc and explain the situation.maybe they have one they can send out right away.

Story time...

So back in March I went to the stove store and ordered a VC Intrepid Flexburn. They came out to install it a couple weeks ago and couldn't get the liner down. They rescheduled to come back out yesterday to break up the clay liner. Yesterday they managed to get the flex liner down without having to break up the clay. They got the stove in to the house and the enamel coating was all cracked (I wasn't here but my wife said that they claimed damage in shipping). They are going to order a replacement. Just wondering from any dealers out there what is the average turnaround for something like this? It took 4 months to get in originally due to COVID/regular backups. Not that there is anything I can do about it but it would be nice to not have to wait another 4 months.

TLDR: Stove came in with cracked enamel. Wondering how long a replacement will take.

So no insulation on the liner?

So no insulation on the liner?

I wasn't here for the install but of course not. The first time it wasn't wrapped either. I never expect anyone to do anything but the bare minimum required.

Being new to this I have read about having an insulated liner but never understood the situations that you needed one in. I know that they are good to have to keep the gasses hot at the top of the chimney, but other than that are there situations that they are required?

I would get ahold of vc and explain the situation.maybe they have one they can send out right away.

I am going to let the store take care of it. I assume that they will let VC know it was damaged upon receipt and hopefully they can get one out fairly soon.

I wasn't here for the install but of course not. The first time it wasn't wrapped either. I never expect anyone to do anything but the bare minimum required.

Being new to this I have read about having an insulated liner but never understood the situations that you needed one in. I know that they are good to have to keep the gasses hot at the top of the chimney, but other than that are there situations that they are required?
They are required to meet code unless you have the required clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustibles. 1" for an external chimney 2" for internal

They are required to meet code unless you have the required clearance from the outside of the masonry structure to combustibles. 1" for an external chimney 2" for internal

Good to know. They pulled a permit for it so I'll be sure to ask the building inspector about it.

Good to know. They pulled a permit for it so I'll be sure to ask the building inspector about it.
I can all but guarantee the inspector won't have a clue what you are talking about. I have yet to come across one that did.