Turnbuckle vs chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
I got a new full Chisel chain on the Makita and it was awesome just blowing thru some 30' mulberry and some even bigger oak .
Then I heard that noise not a good noise and the saw stopped cutting when I looked down in the log I could see metal.
Went and touched up the blade and moved over and made the cut but it was not as sharp and just cut ok. Turns out the thing I hit was a 4" turn buckle like you might use to tension your clothes line and it was entirely in the tree .
Now got to try working on the blade a bit or bring it in and have it done.

I would have it done.

smokinjay said:
I would have it done.

+1. Are you sure the bar is OK?

Did not see anything on the bar -- what should I be looking for ,what is the most common damage inflicted on the bar ?

Thanks

Tony H said:
Did not see anything on the bar -- what should I be looking for ,what is the most common damage inflicted on the bar ?

Thanks

look for metal spurs or shavings

Same thing happened on my Makita. Ended up having to replace the clutch sprocket also. Found that out when the new chain I put on started screwing up on me. Looked at the engagement teeth & they were starting to get chewed up on a new chain. Looked at the sprocket & the edges of the engaging slots were all chewed up.
Al

Sorry to hear about your saw lobsta1
Checked my bar and see no sign of damage looks like I got away with minimal damage this time.

Cut fence lines once . You be surprized at how much crap that you find in trees . Actually surprized at how much crap I have found in the bottom of the boiler . I have found lag bolts railroad spikes and nails , in the bottom of the boiler . I have found barb wire and those tree climber spikes by chainsaw and numerous nails . The wierd one was a rock in a crotch some 20 feet up .

Took the chain off to get sharpened and found a little dent burr in the bar where it hit but it cleaned right up with a little touch on the grinder. Put a new chain on and went and cut a few chunks of ash it's working great.
Webie - I have burned a few pallets with nails but so far have not found a single nail in the ash I guess the heat is enough to cause disinegration so I canj't see them.

Tony H said:
Took the chain off to get sharpened and found a little dent burr in the bar where it hit but it cleaned right up with a little touch on the grinder. Put a new chain on and went and cut a few chunks of ash it's working great.
Webie - I have burned a few pallets with nails but so far have not found a single nail in the ash I guess the heat is enough to cause disinegration so I canj't see them.

That eko must have one hot burn

i know the feelin'.....
th_METALINWOOD005.jpg

th_METALINWOOD003.jpg

Webie,I know your pain I cut a lot of trees on the backside of a gravel bed same thing(small stone in a crotch). Kind of sucks to be a chain. Today was cutting a 20'' maple with the MS250 and cut into a cast iron wedge in the tree. No fixing that one new bar and chain tomorrow. Poop happens to good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.