Turning off the room blower on a low heat setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boof

Dec 23, 2008
LI NY
Just wondering if it would be safe to turn the room blower off when the stove is using an extremely low heat setting (feed rate @ 1lb per hour or less). Most of the time the blower would be on, but there are those occasions where you just want the ambiance of the fire without the noise.

Anyone ever try this? I doubt at that heat seting the stove would over heat, but maybe there are some other issues to be aware of?

you don't mention your stove brand/model. I'm sure the answer depends on that.

The instructions for how to do this very thing are in my stove's manual. (Harman). So its probably possible.
A friend of mine, who's had his Harman for a few years, says that the room blower may eventually come on, even if you have it shut off, in order to cool the stove. Its little micro-processor brain will over-rule whatever you do with the knobs, if it deems it necessary.

Thanks for the response. I have a US Stove 5510. My stove does not have an option to turn the blower off completley, but I bet there is a setting that indicates when to turn the blower on (temp sensor I suspect). I wonder if I can adjust that to a higher setting? It must be a C code on the control board. I will attempt to contact US Stove to see what code this is. I know it is C12 for the shutdown temp (when to turn the blowers off) so there must be a turn on temp.

Thx

boof said:
Thanks for the response. I have a US Stove 5510. My stove does not have an option to turn the blower off completley, but I bet there is a setting that indicates when to turn the blower on (temp sensor I suspect). I wonder if I can adjust that to a higher setting? It must be a C code on the control board. I will attempt to contact US Stove to see what code this is. I know it is C12 for the shutdown temp (when to turn the blowers off) so there must be a turn on temp.

Thx

if the unit does not have a normal way to run without the room fan its likley that its not intended to be run that way. the room fan in a pellet stove has a dual purpose, one, (obviously) to push heat out and help warm the house, but two, while its pushing this heat out , its also keeping the stove cooler internally by removing the heat so it doesnt build too high inside the stove. i would suggest not running without the room fan for any appreciable time unless the manufacturer expressly says its ok, you could damage somthing , or cause the stove to overtemp and shut down by tripping its high limit.

boof said:
Just wondering if it would be safe to turn the room blower off when the stove is using an extremely low heat setting (feed rate @ 1lb per hour or less). Most of the time the blower would be on, but there are those occasions where you just want the ambiance of the fire without the noise.

Anyone ever try this? I doubt at that heat seting the stove would over heat, but maybe there are some other issues to be aware of?

On the Harman P38 stove the fan will cycle on/off when the setting is turned low to the #1 position.
At that rate the stove does not put out a lot of heat and the stove doesn`t get hot enough to cause a problem.
However I find the Harman stove unsuitable for the ambience appeal as the flame shoots straight up on higher settings and burns with too short of a flame on low.
Maybe a log set would be different though but from what I read they only cause a less efficient burn.

Thanks...it basically comes down to the US Stove 5510 lowest room blower setting really doesn't seem be low enough. There are 9 settings and even though there is a difference between the lowest and highest setting I would think that the difference would be much greater. If I can't turn the blower off that's fine--I understand that this can cause issues. But it would be real nice if I can figure out how to lower the blower speed down just a few notches lower. I found out how I can internally adjust the draft settings, but so far nothing for the room blower. It must be a C-code somewhere--I wish I can get the full info for those codes!

Status
Not open for further replies.