Turning this into wood storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msherer

Burning Hunk
Dec 9, 2010
IL
My son doesn't use the sandpile any longer. I'm out of spaces to store wood and the boss said I should use that sandpile area to store wood. Not sure what I would need. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 362
Perfect wood shed for your seasoned wood, get some treated 2 x 4's and a box of deck screws.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
How far apart should the 2x4's be?

As wide as your splits are, meaning the center of the split rests on the 2 x 4, I'd leave the front open, possibly the back as well.

Is that a creek or river in the background? Does it ever over flow its banks on your property. Will all this crazy weather, you just never know...

I just did the something similar. Kids didn't need the swing set anymore, so I repurposed it into a shed that handles the firewood tools, chainsaws and accessories, shovels, etc. Footprint is 5'x8' and I already have 2 wood sheds that handle 8 cords so that's why I didn't use it for firewood. Glad the boss gave you the ok!

Perfect wood shed for your seasoned wood, get some treated 2 x 4's and a box of deck screws.
Definitely the right plan. Do not stack it on the sand. Ants will devour that pile quicker than you can season and use it if you put in direct ground contact with sand.

I was gonna suggest filling the sand area with gravel (for leveling and drainage) and laying down either flat paver bricks or laying pallets down on top of gravel.
I do that in a side driveway and the pallets stay dry and the wood dries beautifully. No damp bottom layer.

some PT 4x4,5x3 or landscape timbers to stack on top of the sand.
lattice between the four uprights on three sides would stop the stacks from tumbling out and might look nice.
Thin lattice might bow a bit between the posts so a t-post or two between the posts might help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.